PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I confess it -- I just don't grok corncob pipes.
It's not a snob thing, I promise -- I have a couple of briars that cost what a cob costs and are of no distinguished lineage, yet I love them full well.
If I had no other pipe of any sort, I suppose I'd smoke a cob -- but I always DO have some other pipe of some other sort. So do almost all of y'all, yet many of you choose to smoke cobs from time to time.
To specify my objections: The shapes (especially that sort of dumbbell or hourglass shape) aren't seem clumsy and awkward. The "finish" -- insofar a cob can be said even to have a finish -- looks like the result of a tragic workshop fire. In the hand, the feel is like something I ought to be throwing out after a summer barbecue.
And yet, these pipes are beloved by many here. So tell me -- sell me -- help me see. Why do you love these things?

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
My first one is in the mail, I'll try and give an objective review once it arrives. I ordered it on the endless recommendations of members of this forum and just had to see what the hype was about. Aesthetically I don't like them at all...however my understanding is, that they do not have the same issues with repetitive use that briars have. I think it might be nice to have something that I can smoke at any time without having to worry about wrecking it. Also, I am digging your "Stranger in a Strange Land" reference...one of the few high school readings that I enjoyed.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I like cobs because they are easy to deal with. You don't have to rest 'em at all - if you want to finish one bowl, run a cleaner through it,load and fire up - do it. Put one in your pocket, take it camping, work in the yard - perfect.

They are also cool smokers, and let the tobacco flavor through perfectly.

They also just seem right with the American Classics - aka codger burleys. SWR, Prince Al, Walnut, Granger - pick one - they all seem to just go perfectly with a cob. That's what I smoke in 'em 85-90% of the time.

A $10 cob is a lot better pipe than a $10 briar. :puffy:

corvinvelegost

Might Stick Around
May 1, 2012
i agree with Jud, i always have a cob (or on occasion a MM Ozark) when im fishing. They work great for the price plus i dont have too many regrets when i loose them (which has happened more that once while fighting fish).

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
i have no problems with cobs--i prefer the smooth finish, and i find the hour glass quite comfortable

to the hand--all of the above points are also quite valid--
for me looks aren't important (as long as it looks like a pipe)--cobs also deliver some of the best smoking

experiences i can attain--

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Haven't gotten a cob to gurgle yet...
It's like we're all dog collectors and briar pipes are equal to pure bred dogs.
The cob is the rescue mutt. It's not the prettiest thing on the rack, but it loves you no matter what, and she/he never slobbers. :wink:

corvinvelegost

Might Stick Around
May 1, 2012
The "never slobbers" thing may be true about cobs but if its true about rescue mutts no one ever told the mutts ive had XD

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
@Spartan....The cob is the rescue mutt. It's not the prettiest thing on the rack, but it loves you no matter what, and she/he never slobbers.... :rofl:
That was a great description!

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
tslex, it's kind of funny you brought up the shape my cobs all look like pokers, while my only spool (hourglass) is briar. For the record, neither shape really excites me...
In addition to the reasons listed above, I have a couple more plus' in the cob column.

Firstly, cobs are ridiculously light. I barely notice when I'm clenching one, even with the admittedly shoddy "stock" stems they are very comfortable to clench.

The bowl size is perfect for a quicker smoke; when I know I've only got a half hour, I reach for a cob over a half-bowl in a clay or briar.

Finally, well they might not look all that pleasant to some, they smoke so damned well it's moot. The absorbant pith and wooden shank suck out most of the moisture making them perfect for aromatics and tobaccos fresh out of the tin IMHO. They are also more forgiving than briar, both because of the absorbant qualities, but because they (the unfinished, at least) seem to keep cool no matter how hard you puff, yet don't have the fragile qualities of clay or meer.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
+1.5 Schmitzbitz
Edit: Is "Grok" even english? We're not Martians... Or those Goombas from Mario...

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
This article sure helped me to grok the concept. It's written by forum member tilijlp - lots of great advice in there. Let him share his water with you!

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
@Schmitzbitz I agree with everything you've said with the exception of them staying cool. I have known mine to get extremely hot from time to time, so much so that I have to hold it by the stem....finished or not. I don't know, maybe I'm doing something wrong with them. I am by no means a seasoned smoker as it hasn't even been a year since I first picked up the pipe. But that aside....I do still love them.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
DonGreyface, if your cobs are getting that hot, you're probably smoking much too fast. Slow down and relax. Dry your tobacco some, and sip your pipe to extract the most flavor.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I had to Google grok to to know what tslex was talking about. :?
I've never heard that one before. I need to get out more.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Very interesting and persuasive responses here, for which my thanks to all.
@cynyr, that link was very interesting as well. (I might even say "thou art god," except I'm a PCA elder and so not given over to heresy (at least in the second half of the week.))
@ejames, some good explanations of grok above. Think of it as an understanding so fundamental that it transcends the intellect. Read Valentine Michael Smith's story if you have not yet done so. SIASL
I suppose I need to give it a try after all these years. Is Missouri Meerschaum the way to go? Certainly the linked article offers a strong endorsement.

Status
Not open for further replies.