Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Get a nice IM Corona Lighter. Make up the difference with a fancy pipe tool. If you smoke cigars, buy a box of Padron 2000 or 3000 cigars. I assume there wouldn't be a problem taking back one box of cigars.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.

damacene

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2022
A Rattray's Bel lighter, 4 tins of My Mixture 965, and a couple of sticks for your neighbor. Done and Done

Auxsender

Lifer
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Thanks for the input guys.

I will be flying home, and same as last year, I put it in my luggage.
In my humble opinion, definitely do not go bonkers on tobacco cuz they’ll burn your ass with taxes when they find it in your luggage but I know you already knew that.
I love the other ideas mentioned about nice pipes or lighters. That seems like the way forward to me.

I’m sorry Canada is so absurd with their tobacco taxes. I love Canada and Canadian people but that shit is just crazy to me.

Reactions: Michigan_Bill

BrightDarkEyes

Can't Leave
Mar 16, 2024
Shuswap, British Columbia
I live in BC so I know how the duties and taxes exponentially increase the price of low cost tobacco.

Yesterday I picked up 8oz of bulk Haunted Bookshop from SmokingPipes at the post office and the duty was $171 CAD and change on top of the cost of the tobacco itself and shipping. PST alone was $148. I don’t know what the PST is in Ontario but no where is good for tobacco.

If you don’t declare tobacco at the boarder and it is found, I am pretty sure it can be confiscated or if they are lenient and decide to charge you the duties and tax, you might just tell them to toss it in the trash rather than pay for it.

It sounds like you don’t smoke enough to justify spending thousands of dollars for a “cellar” and I imagine you wouldn’t want the gifts binned.

Oh, and mailing the tobacco to yourself from the US doesn’t exempt you from duties. They would be more likely to find it. It seems to me that they are searching a lot more than they used to these days.

I say buy a nice pipe, and your limit in tobacco allowance including any adults travelling with you.

Cornell & Diehl ribbon cuts or crumble cakes without casing or topping are nice and dry usually stay lit very easily if you have trouble with finding flavour and staying lit. Go for anything since you can smoke Nightcap.

Reactions: JoeW

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
If you can't use it all yourself you could surprise somebody, or a couple of somebodies, during this year's secret Santa with a nice stocking stuffer.

Reactions: FLDRD

elvishrunes

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2017
Hard call, boils down to what your needs are…. As a Canuck we are getting racked over the coals on tobacco duties, but pipes average about 30$ Canadian per pipe, which is consistent and not too bad.

As someone building a cellar, I’d get all tobacco and you are allowed 4 tins tax free per adult. So if you are two, that’s 8 plus I’d add another couple and declare all ten.

but as a casual smoker who might be less interested in a deep cellar, meh.