PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GothPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 28, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
Did you ever see the pouch it came in ? Do you remember anything about its color or design ? Just wild guessing here but maybe Sutliffe 704 spiced rum or Smoker Friendly Jamaican Rum ?

Try running a search on tobacco reviews for rum and incense and see what is recommended ...
Sadly, I can't recall anything about what the pouch looked like. Good idea about searching for those terms on tobacco reviews.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Possible - I haven't tried those. But would that have been available to the average person in NYC at the time?
yeah. The pipe smokers who lived there then and moved here in the 90's talked about all the blends that they could buy is why I might move there if there wasn't the internet. Or in other words heard plenty about how even an average guy could get some intersting imported blends without a lot of searching.

Reactions: GothPiper

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I think it was Backwoods Buttered Rum combined with your elevated sense of smell as a grade school child. Remember, kids have much more sensitive sensory equipment than adults. To an adult who is hungry, a hamburger and fries might smell pretty good, but to a child it smells like ambrosia from heaven. And same thing with Backwoods Buttered Rum from a bag in a pipe. You may never entirely replicate that smell.
but I think they didn't make pipe tobacco until the mid or late 90's. Though I did just remember that there was a captain black cigar. Basically it was one of those filtered if the paper wasn't fuzzy it be a cigarette style of cigar.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I feel like this ad is taken right before the lady tells him that he can't smoke his pipe and wear his bath robe in the lobby in this hotel. He can do one or the other but not both. And then he gets snarky and she says why do you have a bath robe on if you haven't showered in days! And he leaves mutering about how Clan is the only scent he needs.

GothPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 28, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
Update: I've gone ahead and ordered some Backwoods Buttered Rum, as well as original Backwoods (which one reviewer described as "incense-like", so that's a possibility as well), and some Velvet just for the heck of it since I haven't tried this classic.

I do wonder about original Backwoods, since there is an equivalent cigar (whereas there is no buttered rum cigar), and that may have been what I smelled outside the club.

Will report back with any findings!

Browny

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2022
Great Southern Land
Last edited:
Reactions: canucklehead