PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GothPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 28, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
The first time I ever smelled a pipe was when I was a kid. My grade school janitor smoked one, and the wonderful aroma is burned into my brain. The problem is: now even as an experienced smoker, I've never smelled a blend quite like it!

Here's some basic info/clues:

1. This was in the New York City area in the late 80s. It was a branded pouch, so it could only be what was commercially available in that time & place.

2. It was for sure an aromatic, but not vanilla or cherry. So not 1Q, not Capt Black, not SWRA. And it wasn't just a sweetened codger like SWR or Half and Half.

3. The best way I can describe the scent was deep and rich. Like a cross between hot buttered rum and incense.

I've only ever smelled a similar scent outside a group of folks smoking outside of a club, and they weren't pipe smokers. So I'm guessing it may have an analog in one of those cheap gas station cigars. My janitor was a humble man, so I would imagine it wasn't anything fancy.

Thoughts? Guesses? My own initial guess was perhaps one of the Backwoods pipe tobaccos, but I'm totally unsure about that.

GothPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 28, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
Things smell much differently when you're also tasting them. If you have a pipe smoking friend, you may want to ask them to try a couple of these suspects in your presence so you're only getting the scent, as when you were a child
Very true. That may be worth a try.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it was Backwoods Buttered Rum combined with your elevated sense of smell as a grade school child. Remember, kids have much more sensitive sensory equipment than adults. To an adult who is hungry, a hamburger and fries might smell pretty good, but to a child it smells like ambrosia from heaven. And same thing with Backwoods Buttered Rum from a bag in a pipe. You may never entirely replicate that smell.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Did you ever see the pouch it came in ? Do you remember anything about its color or design ? Just wild guessing here but maybe Sutliffe 704 spiced rum or Smoker Friendly Jamaican Rum ?

Try running a search on tobacco reviews for rum and incense and see what is recommended ...

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I think it was Backwoods Buttered Rum combined with your elevated sense of smell as a grade school child. Remember, kids have much more sensitive sensory equipment than adults. To an adult who is hungry, a hamburger and fries might smell pretty good, but to a child it smells like ambrosia from heaven. And same thing with Backwoods Buttered Rum from a bag in a pipe. You may never entirely replicate that smell.
Agreed but actually children do not fully develop sour taste buds until after 7 years old so that's why the gravitate towards sweeter flavors and avoid sour vegetables. It takes a few years to appreciate the sours.

Reactions: GothPiper

GothPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 28, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
Quite true, and excellent observation!

However, I did smell a very similar smell outside a club, with no pipes in sight. Fairly recently, in fact. I do suspect Backwoods Buttered Rum because I know they also make cigars widely available in gas stations & convenience stores.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Quite true, and excellent observation!

However, I did smell a very similar smell outside a club, with no pipes in sight. Fairly recently, in fact. I do suspect Backwoods Buttered Rum because I know they also make cigars widely available in gas stations & convenience stores.