Help Identifying a Pipe Please & Thank You!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Here's another pipe sent to me by a consignor who doesn't know who made it. The logo does look familiar to me but at my age, remembering what I ate for dinner last night is challenging. Here are a couple of photos of the pipe and any help will be much appreciated!

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
I cropped this on my phone, so Im gonna drop it here to get a copy on my PC. Ill use this image to run a reverse image search for anything close to a match. From there I may get a lead on it and Ill let you know. Brb

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
No luck with reverse image search, or checking the pipe mark index.... Last line, Ill ask an expert and get back to you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Haven't seen that one (the logo) before. I'm "reading it" as R and C and the image of a smoking pipe bowl on the left. The logo looks small production or artisan to me. Good looking pipe.

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
All my expert could tell me is that it is modern.... Shocked he didn't know more, the guy has over 10,000 pipes hes restored in just his current stock and hes been doing it for decades. Figured if anyone would know it be him... I love a good mystery though and I haven't given up. Put my feelers out in every pipe group I'm in. Hopefully I'll have some good news for you later.

Patrick_Green

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2019
Texas
Hasn't anyone read my edit!!! :)
whoops! No I never edit any one post. I just add more posts.... So it never occured to me to read old posts lol.... I suppose I should adopt that method myself. Stop cluttering up the threads. Nice find! I love the hunt lol.

Reactions: dmcmtk

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
From pipedia:

The Pipes & Pleasures shop, home of S&R Woodcrafters

Blasted Billiard, courtesy SmokingPipes.com

Blasted Bulldog, courtesy SmokingPipes.com
They are the first American pipe carvers honored with induction into the Conferee of Pipe Makers of St. Claude, France; the very place where the carving of briar pipes became a world-wide industry. Sadly, Steve passed away in March of 2009. Roswitha is still carving S&R pipes and carrying on with the shop with help from her "guys" David, Marty, and Tony.
Steve and Roswitha began carving pipes in the 1960's. They travelled to pipe shows and arts and crafts shows throughout the country and Europe selling their pipes and built up quite an extensive loyal customer base. Eventually, it became time to offer their pipes to the retail fraternity of pipe smokers.

Smooth Billiard, courtesy SmokingPipes.com

Blasted Bent Bulldog, courtesy SmokingPipes.com
Pipes & Pleasures had its grand opening in a distinct red brick house on Main Street in Columbus, Ohio in 1977. The front section of the house was converted into a traditional tobacco shop selling pipe tobacco, cigars, and pipes manufactured by well known companies such as Dunhill, Charatan, and Savinelli as well as the high-grade S&R pipes that Steve and Roswitha carved. A workshop was set up in the back section of the house.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
dmc' and others, thanks for the research. Forums often comes up with hard-to-track-down pipe info. It's always fun to watch the process.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
I have a couple S&R pipes--a bulldog & a pot. Both smoke beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.