PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2021
Welcome from Florida but originally from Boston. Those cigar credentials are pretty cool. Have you ever smoked a Don Carlos Lancero from Fuente? It is my favorite as the wrapper is 1984 Cameroon and with the wrapper to filler ratio being what it is, the thinner cigars are what I used to mainly smoke.
Yes, I have ! It really is a great smoke!

Reactions: kcghost

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Hello ! I'm Angela from MA. Although I have been smoking cigars for almost 20 years, I am just starting to venture into smoking pipes. I am a Certified Cigar Sommelier with both Tobacconist University & the International Association of Cigar Sommeliers. Is there something similar in the pipe world? I look forward to learning from all of you !
Welcome, Angela. I suspect that at least some of us (including me) are thankful that the realm of pipes and pipe tobacco still remains an amateurs' preserve--in which almost all of the hobby's greatest scholars and connoisseurs have been self-taught, patiently pursuing knowledge and expertise for its own sake in their "spare" time.

There are and have always been dealers, carvers, restorers, blenders (occasionally an author), and other people who work within the trade who are exceptionally knowledgeable, generous about sharing what they know, and as interested as anyone about obscure antiquarian puzzles. But, perhaps because the pipe world is not a global billion dollar business, it has never been professionalized like wine, fragrance, or--it would seem increasingly--cigars. So, no Institute of Masters of Wine (or Robert Parkers), and no Givaudan Perfumery school turning out world-famous alums.

Fortunately for you, at least if still living, not only are a remarkable number of the sages of pipe knowledge past, present and future members here, but they are remarkably kind and patient in sharing what they know with those of us hoping to learn more.

Mr_houston

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2020
Texas
Welcome. If you have that kind of knowledge/perception about cigar tobacco, then you’re going to love pipes.

Reactions: OzPiper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Welcome from Sydney, Australia (the de facto capital of the International Anti-tobacco League). Your professional qualifications are impressive indeed.
Unfortunately in Sydney B&M tobacconists have become extinct and I am fearful that civilised living will soon be another memory for codgers like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.