PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaloneDSSP

Lurker
Apr 16, 2020
Scotland
Hi All,

Just got my first pipe the other day and I think I've definitely found my new hobby!

I smoked cigarettes for years, but recently have taken to an e-cig for my nicotine fix and am glad of it. At the same time, I always enjoyed the odd cigar and had been curious about pipe smoking for quite a while, but was a bit put off by the fairly high up-front cost of a lot of pipes.

So, after a bit of research, I picked up an inexpensive Peterson Liscannor 65 and a tin of Solani White & Black to try it out. I was quite keen to get something with Latakia in it because I like peated whiskies and fuller-bodied cigars. I've heard the Latakia in White & Black is more understated than most similar blends, but as of yet I've got nothing else to compare it to so will just have to take that at face value until I get a tin of something else. In any case, I've been enjoying it.

I'm not too bothered about aromatics at the moment - although I'd like to try some in future. First, though, I'd like to get a feel for pipe tobacco in its "unaltered" form.

I'm tempted to get another pipe already (!) for non-Latakia blends, but I think I'll see how it goes with this one first in case I've got any bad habits that might damage a pipe. If it can last a few months, then I'll see about getting another.

Anyway - just thought I'd give a short introduction in case anyone has any tips or recommendations they'd like to share! Looking forward to learning from you all and sharing experiences.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Buy a couple inexpensive but good quality pipes and have fun!

$50 will buy you a quite decent pipe and it needn’t be fancy.

Try as many blends as you can to see what you like, perhaps in categories.

Don’t get caught up with expensive pipes and unicorn blends! There’s a lot of great pipes and tobacco that don’t require selling a kidney.

MaloneDSSP

Lurker
Apr 16, 2020
Scotland
Greeting from Chicago! If you get the chance, Scotland boasts the world's best pipe club. I'll warm you, tho. Their meetings tend to run a little longer than the usual...

I actually found some of their business cards in a bothy once years ago! Wow, small world (or small country really, ha!)

Buy a couple inexpensive but good quality pipes and have fun!

$50 will buy you a quite decent pipe and it needn’t be fancy.

Try as many blends as you can to see what you like, perhaps in categories.

Don’t get caught up with expensive pipes and unicorn blends! There’s a lot of great pipes and tobacco that don’t require selling a kidney.

Noted, thanks!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome, indeed. May I suggest you don't shy away from "estate" pipes- ie. Used ones. Found in little thrift shops here in the US, though you probably have a different name for them. Not necessarily easily found, though. "Flea Markets", "Barn sales" and "House sales" can be other ways to get good pipes on the cheap. Again probably different terms in your neck of the wood. Care to say where?

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth. Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details, which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

MaloneDSSP

Lurker
Apr 16, 2020
Scotland
Welcome, indeed. May I suggest you don't shy away from "estate" pipes- ie. Used ones. Found in little thrift shops here in the US, though you probably have a different name for them. Not necessarily easily found, though. "Flea Markets", "Barn sales" and "House sales" can be other ways to get good pipes on the cheap. Again probably different terms in your neck of the wood. Care to say where?

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos of surroundings, and so forth. Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details, which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down.

Hi, thanks for the welcome! I've taken your advice and updated my location in my profile, thanks!

I was actually looking at estate pipes for my next buy - although the only thing that crosses my mind is that if I'm using it for non-Latakia blends, there might be ghosting from Latakia blends if it's been used for those previously. Do you think that's a possibility, or unlikely to be an issue?

Reactions: bnichols23

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hi, thanks for the welcome! I've taken your advice and updated my location in my profile, thanks!

I was actually looking at estate pipes for my next buy - although the only thing that crosses my mind is that if I'm using it for non-Latakia blends, there might be ghosting from Latakia blends if it's been used for those previously. Do you think that's a possibility, or unlikely to be an issue?

Unlikely unless you are latakia adverse, which some of our members are. Some are anal discerning enough to dedicate pipes to every manner of a dozen blend types, one or two even to specific brands of a blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.