PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
I wouldn't worry about it. Personally I give you high marks for originality.

You made Emeritus status at TR in record time...and now occupy a special place in that site's history.

And you're the only person I'm aware of other than Kramer to have the unique distinction of being fired from a job they were never actually hired at in the first place. Except unlike him, your mistake was attempting to do something that actually made sense.
Absolutely hilarious lol. I had to quote you for my signature, I hope you are ok with that. I suppose my entrance to the forum was very Kramer-esque as well hahaha.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I liked you even from your first post, but this follow-up earns tons of respect.

There are no people who don't need to grow, so the only two sorts of people are those who are willing to, and those who aren't.

What you did at TR is precisely what my mildly autistic oldest son would have done, so I was immediately endeared to you. I love my guy to pieces, and enjoy the occasional talk about putting relationships before correctness (when you can in good conscience).

Really glad you're here, and looking forward to knowing you better!

P.S. What a great boss and friend!

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
It's nothing personal, it's just:

JK, I don't hate people, just like Drag Queens more. I appreciate your post here and opening up like that. I also find the response to it from the other members endearing.

Reactions: WhiteCrown

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
I liked you even from your first post, but this follow-up earns tons of respect.

There are no people who don't need to grow, so the only two sorts of people are those who are willing to, and those who aren't.

What you did at TR is precisely what my mildly autistic oldest son would have done, so I was immediately endeared to you. I love my guy to pieces, and enjoy the occasional talk about putting relationships before correctness (when you can in good conscience).

Really glad you're here, and looking forward to knowing you better!

P.S. What a great boss and friend!
A good friend of mine also has two autistic sons, and we have had many a smoke about it. One theory he has is that more of us than we know are on the spectrum to some extent, we just aren't aware because its not pronounced enough to really impair our ability to operate with others day-to-day. I think this is a very interesting idea, and I also agree with you, as I'm pretty sure I possess some characteristics of being autistic.

I tip my hat to you because I know what the difficulties can be like (and how repetitive), and also how others don't often see the rewards and fulfillment that accompany them.

If companies would all employ autistic people to mind the minutia, I think everything would be almost perfect. Also everybody else would be pissed off that they are spending so much time fixing things that they think don't really matter lol. I'm lucky that I work in aviation, where we never just accept a fixable flaw, no matter how minute. I used to cut incorrect lock-wire because it didn't have 8-10 turns per inch, new folks are usualy like "How can you even tell?!?" lol I just hold a quarter to it and count turns. Then they redo it because it's the right thing, its very simple to me. It's not "simple" to everyone, but they learn or find a different job. Perhaps that would be a good field for your son to utilize his strengths in someday.

Reactions: SBC

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I am the other guy and it often doesn't go over well either. Just keep smoking your pipes and tobaccos, while discussing the reasons why you do. You will fit in fine.

I always giggle a little bit inside when someone says be yourself. If you only knew the shit show that would bring down on me in today's world, wow. Things I think are funny would land me in jail.