PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Welcome to the world of pipe smoking.
To quote Bobby McFerrin, "Don't Worry, Be Happy"
I think your former boss may have been correct in his diagnosis of you needing to chill out. It sounds like you have a tendency to focus too hard on the minutia of life and work. This creates stress, in my opinion, which can be unhealthy. I served in the Coast Guard for 21 years and I knew and saw a number of fellow servicemen (and women) who developed mental and physical problems because of the stress of their jobs. You have to learn how to let go and relax.

I find pipe smoking to be a great way to de-stress my life.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Welcome! It’s way too soon to determine whether or not anyone dislikes you. I found out that I had to give people a chance to ultimately reach that conclusion and even then it’s none of my business who dislikes me. It’s a very diverse group here so we’re bound to rub someone wrong, given enough time and participation. Besides, we’re all assholes to some extent.

Arthur Frayn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2023
Sonoma county, Calif.
A lot of the time when I read a post where someone seems to be having a difficult time and they are venting their spleen, I often feel like it's something I might post when I'm in a hurry and thinking too much.

Fortunately, I retrain from posting when I find myself in such a frame of mind. Sometimes I slip; everyone does from time to time.

No worries, mate.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Welcome to the forums!

You had a really cool boss! I wish I had a boss that would drop a pipe and tobacco off on my desk. Would be hard in my current position though, my boss lives in California and I work from home.

It’s a good idear to pace yourself, I struggle with that too, especially working from home, I’ve had to learn when to call it quits, even when I’m not at a good stopping point, sometimes you just have to walk away and revisit your problem with fresh eyes and a well rested brain.

I seriously doubt anyone dislikes you due to the other thread, you asked for feedback, sometimes you aren’t going to agree or like what others have to say. Either way, I hope you stick around, you’ve shown a lot of character by changing your mind by the feedback you received, a lot of people want to hold on to their ideas with a death grip, even when they are obviously in the wrong and that is just embarrassing to watch but it happens all the time.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This is my second thread here, thank you to those who replied in my first. It was a humbling experience and most of your viewpoints were received with gratitude. I work in a technical field and technicalities are both my strength and my weakness. It is this very thing that brought pipe smoking to me. One day at work a couple years ago, a boss of mine dropped an estate briar on my desk and a tin of Samuel Gawith Grousemoor and said, "You need to chill out bro, you are locked on but you are going to burn yourself out. Let's have a smoke."

Seven years ago I had purchased a Grabow and a couple pouches of tobacco that I did not finish, they were not very good and I gave it up quickly. I packed and lit this Grousemoor in my new briar like I was riding a clunky old bicycle, and started to hobble it along. I very quickly noticed this tobacco was much better than what I had first smoked. Many more free partially smoked tins of very good tobacco followed in the coming months. This time, smoking the pipe stuck.

My friend is no longer my boss, but we have both transferred to the same area and still enjoy some tobacco together once every week or so. I still have the tendency to attack every problem furiously and it has served me well professionally, but as some of you already know, not so much online. I have rounded this out in my personal life over the years, but apparently still have room to grow in this regard. I have spend the last ten years or so off of the internet, maybe this is why. It looks like the trusty pipe has brought me back to give it another go.

I know several of you already dislike me and I did earn that with a poor first impression. Maybe I will be welcomed to stick around, maybe not. When this work trip is over I wont have a hole in the clock to fill, so I'll just see where this goes. Either way, best wishes to you all in your endeavors, and thank you for the experience thus far.
one thing I've learned that is very true in life is that often the same qualities that are advantageous or also what is wrong with the thing. I really solidified this outlook learning about the weapons of antiquity. What's great about this? It's got a long reach... What sucks about it? Well if they get in close you're screwed. Everyone is a bit like that. Or great you want to work on yourself and polish the materials you were given, but don't be too hard about it. We all have our traits that help us out and hinder us as well and all have to figure out how to deal with it.
You can only make one first impression but there are a practically infinite amount of impressions to make going forward.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Welcome to the forums!

You had a really cool boss! I wish I had a boss that would drop a pipe and tobacco off on my desk.
The thing you're not aware of is that was the same boss that said you need a pet and dropped an angry Wolverine on his desk too. You know you take the good with the bad.
(oh yeah I made that up by the way).

Browny

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2022
Great Southern Land
I didn't catch your first post as yet like a couple others, but certainly a very good intro post indeed.

'We can't please all the people, all the time.'
Wise words that I know all too well myself.

I wouldn't be too scared off bud, not a bad place here, all in.
Remember, we're all here because of the pipe 👍

Reactions: WhiteCrown

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I wouldn't worry about it. Personally I give you high marks for originality.

You made Emeritus status at TR in record time...and now occupy a special place in that site's history.

And you're the only person I'm aware of other than Kramer to have the unique distinction of being fired from a job they were never actually hired at in the first place. Except unlike him, your mistake was attempting to do something that actually made sense.