PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

WhiteCrown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 29, 2023
Pac NW, USA
This is my second thread here, thank you to those who replied in my first. It was a humbling experience and most of your viewpoints were received with gratitude. I work in a technical field and technicalities are both my strength and my weakness. It is this very thing that brought pipe smoking to me. One day at work a couple years ago, a boss of mine dropped an estate briar on my desk and a tin of Samuel Gawith Grousemoor and said, "You need to chill out bro, you are locked on but you are going to burn yourself out. Let's have a smoke."

Seven years ago I had purchased a Grabow and a couple pouches of tobacco that I did not finish, they were not very good and I gave it up quickly. I packed and lit this Grousemoor in my new briar like I was riding a clunky old bicycle, and started to hobble it along. I very quickly noticed this tobacco was much better than what I had first smoked. Many more free partially smoked tins of very good tobacco followed in the coming months. This time, smoking the pipe stuck.

My friend is no longer my boss, but we have both transferred to the same area and still enjoy some tobacco together once every week or so. I still have the tendency to attack every problem furiously and it has served me well professionally, but as some of you already know, not so much online. I have rounded this out in my personal life over the years, but apparently still have room to grow in this regard. I have spend the last ten years or so off of the internet, maybe this is why. It looks like the trusty pipe has brought me back to give it another go.

I know several of you already dislike me and I did earn that with a poor first impression. Maybe I will be welcomed to stick around, maybe not. When this work trip is over I wont have a hole in the clock to fill, so I'll just see where this goes. Either way, best wishes to you all in your endeavors, and thank you for the experience thus far.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
This is my second thread here, thank you to those who replied in my first. It was a humbling experience and most of your viewpoints were received with gratitude. I work in a technical field and technicalities are both my strength and my weakness. It is this very thing that brought pipe smoking to me. One day at work a couple years ago, a boss of mine dropped an estate briar on my desk and a tin of Samuel Gawith Grousemoor and said, "You need to chill out bro, you are locked on but you are going to burn yourself out. Let's have a smoke."

Seven years ago I had purchased a Grabow and a couple pouches of tobacco that I did not finish, they were not very good and I gave it up quickly. I packed and lit this Grousemoor in my new briar like I was riding a clunky old bicycle, and started to hobble it along. I very quickly noticed this tobacco was much better than what I had first smoked. Many more free partially smoked tins of very good tobacco followed in the coming months. This time, smoking the pipe stuck.

My friend is no longer my boss, but we have both transferred to the same area and still enjoy some tobacco together once every week or so. I still have the tendency to attack every problem furiously and it has served me well professionally, but as some of you already know, not so much online. I have rounded this out in my personal life over the years, but apparently still have room to grow in this regard. I have spend the last ten years or so off of the internet, maybe this is why. It looks like the trusty pipe has brought me back to give it another go.

I know several of you already dislike me and I did earn that with a poor first impression. Maybe I will be welcomed to stick around, maybe not. When this work trip is over I wont have a hole in the clock to fill, so I'll just see where this goes. Either way, best wishes to you all in your endeavors, and thank you for the experience thus far.
Dude, you're so uptight you could swallow a nail and shit a screw. The people here are predominantly very nice and tolerant. Just relax, be yourself and enjoy the site.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yup, part of having a good career is getting away from it on a regular basis. I found that even taking a walk after lunch gave me perspective, made me remember details and tasks that had slipped my mind, and also made me think about non-job things of equal importance.

Sleep -- not on the job of course -- is also vital. Your brain will do all kinds of work if you'll get down and get your eight hours. Likewise vacations loosen up your vision and feed you ideas.

Keeping your nose to the grind stone continually just grinds off your nose.

Welcome back.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I agree with leafErickson, we all have had a learning curve in many areas. This group is just another challenge in social interaction. Now that you have explained things, put on your big girl panties, grab a smoke and charge forward. Except for a few folks here, people are real forgiving. Welcome and look forward to your insights.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Hello and welcome, I have a high stress job that requires a lot of technical work, detailed notes and requires irregular hours and travel.

Here’s the thing this Forum isn’t my job.

When I have a tough day at the office, like today. I step back and collect myself.

This is a place to let your hair gown, not put a cob up your ass, but based on the affinity for cobs by the lot here, who am I to judge.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
know several of you already dislike me and I did earn that with a poor first impression. Maybe I will be welcomed to stick around, maybe not. When this work trip is over I wont have a hole in the clock to fill, so I'll just see where this goes. Either way, best wishes to you all in your endeavors, and thank you for the experience thus far.
I don't dislike you, and I didn't get the impression that anyone does. Being exacting can have its benefits and its pitfalls. It also depends on when and how you go about exercising that exactitude. The trick is knowing where and when to set limits.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I hope that you enjoy participating in the discussions here.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Yes, nice introduction. Sounds to me like you're a good guy who will contribute to the forum. As others mentioned, life is short enough already. Take some time for yourself with your trusty pipe and allow yourself to relax and unwind. A warm welcome to the forum from Middle Tennessee.