PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
Well friend, you enjoy a country with a tobacco culture, a good number of Estancos, excellent pipe craftsmen, many pipe clubs and the cheapest tobacco in the world. Congratulations.
I don't really agree: tobacco is cheap here compared to some other European countries but not "the cheapest in the world". I wanted to buy a tin for a friend in the US and found out that some of the tobacco I smoke is cheaper on Smokingpipes.com
There are very few of these excellent pipe craftsmen you mention (I think I can count them with the fingers of one hand), NOTHING compared to Italy, France, Denmark and other countries. Andalucia pipe club is no longer active, as far as I know, and it was the only one serving all Andalusia (9 millions people)... I think the only active ones are one in Barcelona and one in Madrid. Are these lots of pipe clubs for a country of almost 50 millions inhabitants?

Reactions: Rekoj

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I don't really agree: tobacco is cheap here compared to some other European countries but not "the cheapest in the world". I wanted to buy a tin for a friend in the US and found out that some of the tobacco I smoke is cheaper on Smokingpipes.com
There are very few of these excellent pipe craftsmen you mention (I think I can count them with the fingers of one hand), NOTHING compared to Italy, France, Denmark and other countries. Andalucia pipe club is no longer active, as far as I know, and it was the only one serving all Andalusia (9 millions people)... I think the only active ones are one in Barcelona and one in Madrid. Are these lots of pipe clubs for a country of almost 50 millions inhabitants?

As far as I know you have 2 pipa clubs in Madrid, 2 in Barcelona (one of which is one of the few in the world with its own place), one in Valencia. All with the size to host the world slow smoking championship. As for Pipemakers, there are José Rubio, Segumon Ballenas, Rafa Martín, Joan Bonet (now the son) to name a few without investigating. You have Bruken, one of the last large-scale pipe factories left in the world, and you have a system of Estancos that means that there is tobacco in all cities, whether or not it is good. Spain is the first or second largest consumer of Habanos in the world. Do you have any idea how many American friends only have the internet option because they have to drive many miles to find some brick and mortar tobacco shop that sells some kind of pipe tobacco? For me the situation in Spain is better than in many countries.

Reactions: monty55

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
I really know that USA is 50 countrys in one Union so it change from state to state but in my last time in Orlando I Drive one Hour to the nearest pipe shop in Lakeland only to pay 18 dollar for 50grs tin.
I live in Buenos Aires so I have a number of tobacco stores, but we still pay 20 dollars a tin

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
As far as I know you have 2 pipa clubs in Madrid, 2 in Barcelona (one of which is one of the few in the world with its own place), one in Valencia. All with the size to host the world slow smoking championship. As for Pipemakers, there are José Rubio, Segumon Ballenas, Rafa Martín, Joan Bonet (now the son) to name a few without investigating. You have Bruken, one of the last large-scale pipe factories left in the world, and you have a system of Estancos that means that there is tobacco in all cities, whether or not it is good. Spain is the first or second largest consumer of Habanos in the world. Do you have any idea how many American friends only have the internet option because they have to drive many miles to find some brick and mortar tobacco shop that sells some kind of pipe tobacco? For me the situation in Spain is better than in many countries.
I think you named almost all of them. Most people in the world have never heard of Bruken. Countries like Italy, France or Denmark have at last 10 times more pipe producers, sorry. There are tobacco shops in most European countries, my city has only one tobacco shop that offers a decent selection of pipe tobacco, I also need to drive 30 mins to get there. I live in the 5th largest Spanish city. I have the impression that the US has quite more culture regarding cigars. Don’t describe Spain like a heaven for pipe smokers, it’s a country like others.

Reactions: Alejo R.

Rekoj

Lurker
Jan 26, 2022
To buy tobacco in Spain is very limited by laws and taxes... really in the USA it is much easier and you have more options.

Status
Not open for further replies.