PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Welcome to the forum. Peterson is a fine pipe. 999 is a good Rhodesian. Typical American pipe tobacco won't be available over the pond. But after kicking continental Europe out of the God's Kingdom, maybe there will be some in the future. Best to look for a fine British blends.

LiamClanNastey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
England
Welcome to the forum. Peterson is a fine pipe. 999 is a good Rhodesian. Typical American pipe tobacco won't be available over the pond. But after kicking continental Europe out of the God's Kingdom, maybe there will be some in the future. Best to look for a fine British blends.
Thanks Bullet. Good advice and agree.
“I’ll no forget ye” (Highlander 1) 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hi Sparker69. ~How's Montreal? My pipe buddy is about to move there (13th Jan). Any tips on good pipe shops etc? Can you get the UK tobaccos? Samuel Gawith etc?
As many in Canada will attest, the taxes on pipe tobacco make it much more expensive here, (although, it seems to be on par with what I've seen in Europe. Not sure for Ireland or the UK). The legend here is Blatter & Blatter - a very small shop of pipe makers with quite a history, (since 1907). There are a few other shops around for tobacco. You can get UK tobaccos here - depends on availability. I picked up a tin of Squadron Leader at Blatter a while back, but it depends what comes in. There is another good tobacco shop as well -Pat et Robert, (yes - we are in a French speaking city!). Other options - Vasco Cigars & Cigare et compagnie. Like other Canadians, we do order online from the US - but there is always a chance of paying duty. Your friend can always message me in private for more information.

Reactions: Briar Tuck

LiamClanNastey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
England
As many in Canada will attest, the taxes on pipe tobacco make it much more expensive here, (although, it seems to be on par with what I've seen in Europe. Not sure for Ireland or the UK). The legend here is Blatter & Blatter - a very small shop of pipe makers with quite a history, (since 1907). There are a few other shops around for tobacco. You can get UK tobaccos here - depends on availability. I picked up a tin of Squadron Leader at Blatter a while back, but it depends what comes in. There is another good tobacco shop as well -Pat et Robert, (yes - we are in a French speaking city!). Other options - Vasco Cigars & Cigare et compagnie. Like other Canadians, we do order online from the US - but there is always a chance of paying duty. Your friend can always message me in private for more information.
Cool - that's very kind of you! Yes I think the French side of things is partly what appeals to him choosing Quebec. It's involved a crash course to brush up on A-Level ;-). Blatter sounds like the mecca then. It looks like it will be just as expensive to send stuff over to him.

Cheers
NMc

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Cool - that's very kind of you! Yes I think the French side of things is partly what appeals to him choosing Quebec. It's involved a crash course to brush up on A-Level ;-). Blatter sounds like the mecca then. It looks like it will be just as expensive to send stuff over to him.

Cheers
NMc
For cheaper tobacco, Canadians usually order through 4Noggins, versus Smokingpipes.
As to the French - a good place to learn it! I came here with next to nothing from the neighbouring province and now live and work in French, (a French speaking wife does help ;) ).
An interesting side note as well - huge Irish population in Quebec - especially around Quebec City - but most of them, at least in that area, no longer speak English.

Reactions: Briar Tuck