PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Welcome from PA in the U.S.. I think if you've lived in spain for 9 years I would guess you're one year away from becoming a Italiaird or Spainial not sure which. I think ten years is when you official can call yourself either one with confidence (say your Spanish or Itallian). But that's just one mans opinion.

Reactions: Chris81

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina U.S. Does Spain produce any pipes. I don't see any exported, but I've often wondered.

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
Spain produces many pipes. Factory pipes like Bruken and artisan pipes like the ones from Segimon Baulenas or Rubio. They also produce many bowls for the English manufacturers (Peterson,dunhill,etc.). They are very well known in Spain and the European continent but not much in the States.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Welcome from Sydney, Oz.

Covid last year forced a cancellation of a trip to Spain with a couple of friends. We had planned to spend time in Jerez and the Sherry region, being great fans of Sherry. Plus some time in Madrid.

Hopefully we will be able to travel next year

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
Welcome from PA in the U.S.. I think if you've lived in spain for 9 years I would guess you're one year away from becoming a Italiaird or Spainial not sure which. I think ten years is when you official can call yourself either one with confidence (say your Spanish or Itallian). But that's just one mans opinion.
I'm one year from being able to ask for citizenship and becoming a Spanish citizen after passing an exam, which I'm considering mostly because after covid it has become difficult, long and expensive to ask for any document from the local Italian consulate.

It's funny because I have a fair skin, blue eyes and, before shaving it, light brown hair (which is considered blond here) so they always call me "guiri", which is the "foreigner" word they use for nordic tourists. Also waiters usually attend me in English as soon as they see me. I would definitely start showing everyone my DNI (identification document) and say: hey I'm Spanish! :D

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina U.S. Does Spain produce any pipes. I don't see any exported, but I've often wondered.
Yes, Spain produces pipes, but they're not exported so much. Sigmund's pipes are quite famous in Latin American forums though, they are produced by a local craftsman called Segimon Baulenas (as they already told you). I have one of his pipes with a nice straight brandy shape, it smokes well and is sturdy.

Jose Rubio makes excellent pipes with many different shapes, his quality is very much appreciated.

Bruken are commercial pipes produced in Valencia, the one you see me clenching in my profile picture is an Ena, which is the second (cheaper) brand by Bruken, still this pipe smokes really well for me.

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
Welcome from Sydney, Oz.

Covid last year forced a cancellation of a trip to Spain with a couple of friends. We had planned to spend time in Jerez and the Sherry region, being great fans of Sherry. Plus some time in Madrid.

Hopefully we will be able to travel next year
You should definitely visit! Jerez is really nice, but you should visit the rest of Andalusia too once you get here from the antipodes :D
Granada, Cordoba and Seville at least! If you have time, then also Malaga and Cadiz. Malaga doesn't have so much history and beautiful architecture like the others, but it's near the sea and they opened many museums so it's becoming the main tourist attraction in the area.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I'm one year from being able to ask for citizenship and becoming a Spanish citizen after passing an exam, which I'm considering mostly because after covid it has become difficult, long and expensive to ask for any document from the local Italian consulate.

It's funny because I have a fair skin, blue eyes and, before shaving it, light brown hair (which is considered blond here) so they always call me "guiri", which is the "foreigner" word they use for nordic tourists. Also waiters usually attend me in English as soon as they see me. I would definitely start showing everyone my DNI (identification document) and say: hey I'm Spanish! :D
am I right with my assumption, the cost of living, I mean prices for food and housing are somewhat less in Spain than in Italy?

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
am I right with my assumption, the cost of living, I mean prices for food and housing are somewhat less in Spain than in Italy?
Yes, the cost of living is a bit cheaper than Italy, eating out is definitely cheaper I think. I still prefer good quality Italian food though ;-)
It also depends on what part of Italy you are comparing, I’m from the north so definitely more expensive. I often went to the south for holidays and it was much cheaper. If only there were decent job opportunities there!
Housing is not that cheap in Malaga, prices have literally doubled since I came here. It became almost as expensive as Madrid or Barcelona.
There is plenty of foreigners in the Costa del Sol and if you come to Fuengirola you can easily find a Finnish hairstylist, doctor, dentist, restaurant etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
G'Day, Bom Dia, Buongiorno, Buenos dias from Brazil

I also have fair skin and blond hair, so in Brazil I'm called Alemão (German)

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
Hi everyone, I'm Italian but I've been living in southern Spain for the past 9 years ?

I've been lurking a bit and I decided to join: it seems like the best pipe forums are from the US - I'm already a member of the pipe smokers den forum. It's incredible how much information you post in this forum, thanks so much everyone!

I bought my first pipe about 10 years ago but I was mainly a cigarette smoker... fortunately I was able to give up a couple of months ago (thanks to vaping...) and now I also enjoy smoking a few bowls everyday. I learnt everything I know from Muttnchop piper's YouTube channel, that guy is amazing, I can't thank him enough.

Well, actually my VERY FIRST pipe was when I was around 6 yo: it was a toy pipe made of plastic which was part of a detective costume: we became inseparable and I was clenching my pipe all day long for the next few years until it was completely chewed.

My pipes collection is increasing rapidly (a bit too much) and now I have 11 pipes: some cheap ones but also a Viprati, some nice Peterson's and a Savinelli. Some of them are estate pipes.

I increasingly like small pipes because they're easy to clench and bring around, so I will keep adding more small pipes to my collection ?
Welcome from Seattle, USA. Benvenuto della città di Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.