PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Hey, everybody! New to posting, been lurking for a while. I came back to pipe smoking after a 12 year hiatus from all forms of tobacco. Well, I first made the mistake of picking up a pack of cigs while going through a difficult divorce and fell right back into the pack a day habit. About a year later I had a heart attack and desperately wanted to drop the nails but found it more difficult than ever. A friend gave me a good pipe and turned me on to English and Balkan blends on the suggestion that they would cure my cravings for camels and they did! Durbar, Presbyterian, and WhiteKnight have filled all my needs for that Turkish taste, especially with my morning coffee. I don't inhale and tend to keep my bowls on the small side so I don't worry too much about damaging the ticker (I'm only 38, the cause of my heart attack was genetic high cholesterol and hypertension/stress). I'm a Cicerone Certified Beer Server, which is kind of like a sommelier for craft brews, so I really enjoy getting down to the nitty gritty with tasting notes and flavor profiles. There are so many flavors and variables in pipe blends to be appreciated!
Thanks to everyone responsible for keeping this site going and to all the folks who contribute their knowledge to the forums! What a great community this is!

Rush
Welcome! Look at some of Greg Pease's stuff. His Oriental-forward blends are incredible.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I just have to say: your avatar photo is the shit.
Thanks brotha! It's from a photo shoot for a band I was in a few years ago called the Paris Thieves. I wish I could take selfies as well as you for the What Are You Smoking thread.. all mine come out old man style, looking cross-eyed at the screen!?

zion

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Welcome from East Tennessee. I’m in Shelby annually for work nearby. I always hit that brick oven pizza place downtown.

Reactions: rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Welcome from East Tennessee. I’m in Shelby annually for work nearby. I always hit that brick oven pizza place downtown.
Pleasant City Pizza! Nice! I went to school with about half of the staff and go way back with the owner and managers. The bar manager, Crystal, is one of very best friends! They have the best craft beer selection in town, for sure. I'll tell 'em they got a positive review on pipesmag!

Reactions: zion and BROBS

twofocused

Lurker
Dec 18, 2019
Since your palate is refined can you have a favorite beer or do you find fault with all them?
Welcome from a fellow North Carolinian

• Haha
Reactions: rushx9

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Since your palate is refined can you have a favorite beer or do you find fault with all them?
Welcome from a fellow North Carolinian
As a Virgo, I can find fault in pretty much anything!??? I can also appreciate when a brew is a good example of style, even when I don't particularly like that style. I wish more tobacco reviews were done objectively... I see so many reviewers saying they hate latakia then giving bad reviews on English blends for being too smokey, or bad reviews on lakelands for being "soapy". I don't love IPAs but I don't fault them for being hoppy. My favorite brews, btw, are foeder aged Flanders Reds/Browns, particularly those from Brouwerij Verhaeghe (Duchesse de Bourgogne), Rodenbach(Grand Cru), Petrus(Oud Bruin), and Leifman's(Goudenband). I love the raspberry tootsie pop flavor of aged sour mixed with fresh malty goodness with a touch of acetic.

Reactions: twofocused

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Florida. You might want to try the following readily available blends.
Capstan Blue Flake
Escudo or Peterson Deluxe Navy Rolls
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro
Solani 633 and 660

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.