PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Texas? Where all my ex's live?

I just don't see Jesse choosing that state unless there was added incentive such as a job requirement, or a woman.
It would have to be one hell of a woman. I've been to Texas a number of times. I like the Texans I've worked with. But the predicted weather patterns that are developing suggest to me that the Southwest was not where I want to be. My other choice would have been Santa Fé New Mexico. New Mexican cooking can't be beat.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Sable did. He bought a place for cash, in a terrific little town. No pointless bank or greedy real estate agent. We did the paperwork and engaged a title company to do the rest, though we did have to prod them a little, since there wasn't an opportunity to file bogus charges for dubious services. The legal business ran a little less than a grand and the house was automatically added into Sable's trust, since the trust bought the property.

BTW, anyone who hasn't done a trust or a at least a will is going to be doing their state a great service, since probate court will have a field day helping itself to your assets.
Congrats on the new residence brother.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Going to have to bust out your Shakespeare period pipes , and tobacco I’d imagine. Excellent choice in location. Do you have a VW already or do they give you one when you in process the state?

• Haha

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
So far, so good. Everything pulled from the wreckage of a box has come out intact. Part of the secret to successful moving is to accept that your goods absolutely do not matter to the moving company. Management only cares only about how much thet can move and how fast they can move it, and how much they can nickel and dime you along the way. If they smash your stuff you will not receive damages, unless you thoroughly list and have professional valuations on, any collectibles, etc that you are shipping. So pack defensively, or hire a moving concierge to personally handle and guarantee your crap. Best, do it yourself.
OR, just pile it all up, douse it with gasoline, and strike a match.

Are there exceptions to this picture? Possibly, but most of them are far more negative. Anyway, back to unpacking...
Done this a few times myself, but at obviously younger age so a lot less stuff, and stuff of value accumulated than you! Latest was moving to Switzerland, my dad being pragmatic told me it's silly to pay as much as I did, with almost 2 weeks of WORK from me and my wife packing, for moving, and I should have instead sold stuff and used the money to buy new here. I didn't, learnt now!
A good cull every now and then helps, but I am terrible at it!

A different perspective is when a whale of a company like Roche/Novartis hire very high level people from abroad, they give them an almost endless budget for moving (ok, not endless, but a lot, like ~US$30,000) where a company comes to their place, takes everything and recreates their house wherever in the world they need to go. I did my own customs clearance for example, inventories etc, and at least Greece has via the EU agreements with Switzerland which make customs easier, I expect it's even more of a hassle eg from the US to here.

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
Stage 1 of this horror show of a move is complete. Packing and sorting, what to keep, what to donate, what to give away, and what to dump. Nearly 10 months of weekends of this horrible process, getting rid of 2/3rds of everything. Carefully packing, especially the antique lamps and rare books to withstand a bomb blast, engaging a highly recommended moving company that’s fucked up one thing after another, and letting go of the results.
Had a marvelous send off dinner with close friends, a terrific farewell lunch from the production, dozens of phone calls as I frantically packed the final boxes for the movers.
I packed the van like an Okie fleeing the dust bowl, pots falling on me every time I needed to apply the brakes, dodging brain donor drivers who think lanes are a theoretical concept, tailgating testosterone cases driving trucks they can’t control, and made it here with everything I took intact, and unpacked the contents.
I’m thoroughly fried.
Stage 2 begins when the movers show up.
I will never do this again. If I have to move I’ll stack everything, douse it with gasoline and set it on fire.
Do yourself a favor and go through your “treasures” and cull mercilessly.
In the middle of this final week I was contacted about giving an interview for a documentary commemorating the 40th anniversary of Something Wicked This Way Comes, which was a nice break from the shitshow. It’s supposed to be screened in October.
I understand you perfectly. I am in the middle of the same process.