PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
LOL, I always think of “Here Come The Brides” as being in Oregon even though “Seattle” was the theme song. Just to spice things up …..

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
One thing about being the Navy was that the frequent moves tended to mitigate agains the accumulation of “stuff,” there just wasn’t enough time between moves as soon as we were settled it was time to pick up stakes and do it again.

Unpacking priorities were the bedroom and kitchen, after that the rest can be done at leisure.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Stage 1 of this horror show of a move is complete.
Congratulations on your decision to flee the Golden state and migrate north.

Been to Ashland a number of times and although the weather is like northern Cal. the people and culture are a 180 degree turnaround from Southern California. I know there is a significant Cal. Expat population there, but not overwhelming enough to ruin things.

You may already know the state motto of Oregon is, “Alis volat propriis “, which roughly means, “She flies with her own wings.” and that describes the typical native Oregonian citizen.

Once you get settled in and can kick back a bit I think you’ll be happy there. I am rooting for you Jesse.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Stage 1 of this horror show of a move is complete. Packing and sorting, what to keep, what to donate, what to give away, and what to dump. Nearly 10 months of weekends of this horrible process, getting rid of 2/3rds of everything. Carefully packing, especially the antique lamps and rare books to withstand a bomb blast, engaging a highly recommended moving company that’s fucked up one thing after another, and letting go of the results.
Had a marvelous send off dinner with close friends, a terrific farewell lunch from the production, dozens of phone calls as I frantically packed the final boxes for the movers.
I packed the van like an Okie fleeing the dust bowl, pots falling on me every time I needed to apply the brakes, dodging brain donor drivers who think lanes are a theoretical concept, tailgating testosterone cases driving trucks they can’t control, and made it here with everything I took intact, and unpacked the contents.
I’m thoroughly fried.
Stage 2 begins when the movers show up.
I will never do this again. If I have to move I’ll stack everything, douse it with gasoline and set it on fire.
Do yourself a favor and go through your “treasures” and cull mercilessly.
In the middle of this final week I was contacted about giving an interview for a documentary commemorating the 40th anniversary of Something Wicked This Way Comes, which was a nice break from the shitshow. It’s supposed to be screened in October.
moving is a great way to see if you really need or want that thing. I gave away a couple things to random people just cause I realized I don't need to keep that stuff.
You are now living in the vicinity of the summer Shakespeare Festival, if you enjoy live theater.

[formerly stationed in Portland OR, lived in Eugene, Goshen and Springfield]
he's gonna go old school cause he's a bit of a hardcore traditionalist. What I mean by that is he's going to throw rotting fruit and veg at the actors and try to engage them in sword duels. Like I said he's an old school chap.