PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome from central North Carolina, U.S. My brother-in-law grew up in Rotterdam and now has dual citizenship and teaches Dutch language and culture classes to kids and adults in the Chicago area. He speaks about five languages, which I greatly admire, speaking only one, and that dubiously. Any good brand will serve as a first pipe. I like French pipes a lot, quality for the price, and of course Savinelli, Nording, and others. I'd also recommend Johs, the Danish carver Mogen Johansen, who does excellent work at moderate prices. I have about six of his pipes.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I must correct my last post but somehow cant edit it, with 340 I ment 320...

@mso489 nice story, I grew up and still live near Rotterdam. Yes, most dutch speak their languages for obvious reasons, no one ever would ever understand us if we didnt ;-).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from Florida. I would recommend you get a real briar pipe to begin your journey. I started with a Savinelli Linea Piu 5 Apple shaped. No filters, no adapters just a nice wide open shank airway so you can get a nice dry flavorful smoke. I make sure all my pipes have at least a 4.0-4.5 shank opening. If you are buying on line as the seller to check the opening and let them know that it i s a deal breaker if any pipe is less than 4.0.
Read all you can, look at video's but you have to start with a good quality pipe. If you don't get a good pipe, then how will you know if you got a lemon down the road. My first was the Savinelli, my second was a George Jensen that was a piece of crap. It burned hotter than any pipe ever should. But what if, the Jensen was my first pipe, I probably would have given up pretty quickly.

You need a baseline pipe. You will need to learn what type of humidity do you need for certain blends, they are not all the same. I smoke flake tobacco 99% of the time. I prefer my flakes to be a bit moist as the slower I smoke the more flavor I get. When I take a flake and fold and stuff it into one of my flake pipes. I get a much cooler,slower,drier and more flavorful smoke. There are videos and articles all over the web on how to fold and stuff or cube cut or rub out your flakes. I would recommend cube cutting for a beginner. I have never recommended a cob for a first pipe. Lots of people do but I am not one of those people. I smoke briar pipes only. I have a strict criteria for any pipe that I buy.
I like a pipe that has a 2.0" bowl height, a 1.5 inside bowl depth, .75-.83 inside bowl width. 5.0-6.5 pipe length. My criteria keeps going but for now this will suffice.

Patience is now your friend, don't give up before the miracle happens. Hell you might get lucky and hit gold on the first bowlful.
Since you were a cigar guy, I would go with Peterson Navy Rolls which is the old Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, and a tin of Capstan Blue flake as it is smooth, easy to smoke, ready to roll right out of the tin with no extra drying needed. I would go for one of each and see how a straight Virginia )Capstan) and a Virginia/Perique blend smokes like.
I never recommend aromatics to start with I say go big or go home. These two blends with a good pipe

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
Welcome Dan Cobs are a great start .I would suggest looking at Marini on ebay search ' waxed Savinelli pipes' great value pipes. For tobacco I would suggest you look at hacico.de and Estervals when you find a blend that looks interesting look it up on Tobacco Reviews website. That should keep you busy

Status
Not open for further replies.