PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Hello fellow enjoyers of tobacco,

My name is Dan(iel, but prefer Dan) , 36 years according to my user name, born and bred Dutch still living there.

After I quit smoking cigs 15 years ago last year I started smoking premium cigars. Had more time and money to burn due to the 21st century plague. I always found pipes very fascinating, the first time I got in contact in my childhood with pipe smoking on holiday where a elder German gentleman always smoked his pipe outside, the smell I always found amazing! I remember it as very toffee-esque.

But I also thought they had a steep learning curve and didn't want to make the jump so started with cigars. Was on quite the buying frenzy in 2020 so I have quite a stash for the amount I smoke. I wanted to try piping now I have the correct technique of cigar smoking: I know there is no direct correlation between both, but getting storing, lighting and smoking cadence of cigars right, there is some carryover I suppose.

So I took the plunge and ordered 2 MM Bent Cobs and 3 tins of different tobacco: MB Golden Blend, MB Virginia #1 and Rattrays Red Rapparee. I still have some budget for this month so suggestions are very welcome!

Pipe suggestions I'm not sure about, I might keep on smoking the cobs and order some more, but if you would name a quintessential starter pipe next to the Cobs I ordered I would be very pleased!

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
Welcome from the UK!

I'd think about a Falcon. I never smoke my now, but I didn't get on with cobs &, because you can take it apart, I think it's a great pipe for getting a handle on the mechanics of pipe smoking.

In terms of tobaccos, as a previous smoker you might find one of the darker VaBur blends worth a shot Bold Kentucky, Old Dark Fired - something like that. They're very forgiving tobaccos & personally I think they're entirely delicious. Worth checking out the reviews first though, they're not everyone's cup of tea.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

redz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2021
Gaithersburg, MD
Greetings from Maryland, USA! You may want to pick up a briar to go along with the cobs. When I started I purchased a MM, and a Dr Grabow briar to begin with.... :sher:

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Welcome! Can't go wrong with a cob. They're going to smoke great. I think you've also done well with your first tobacco selections. Be careful with the Virginias because they will bite if smoked too hot and fast. I would also recommend a good full bodied English like Peterson Nightcap, or Rattrays Black Mallory. These are full flavored rich tobaccos that are very forgiving and cool burning. Not sure of the availability in the Netherlands, but G.L Pease Quiet Nights is my all time favorite full English blend.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Thanks all for the welcome!

The Falcon suggestion isn't bad and researched that, but they don't tell me quintessential pipe to me. I do understand I should prefer function over form. Thank you for your suggestion!

Dr grabow isn't available to me or I didn't search enough in the EU. There are a bunch of brands that offer pipes in the 30 to 50 euros price range which I'm willing to pay or go the estate route via smokingpipes. I'll just wait on how the cobs will suit me and might add a cheaper briar.

GLP also isn't available in the EU but again I may be mistaken, but the other suggestions are, thank you for the suggestions on tobacco! Have read a lot on the notorious reputation of Virginia's allready on this great source of information. Again pipes and cigars aren't the same, puffing to hard on a cigar will make it taste foul and won't burn your mouth, but I allready learned to control myself not puffing to hard or to much.

Reactions: solideogloria86

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Welcome from Perth, Western Australia. I'm a Dutch guy living in Australia for the last 16 years.

For a first briar Rossi pipes are one of the best deals out there in the price range you are looking in.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Welcome aboard from Finland
as far as for Tobacco recommendations, aside from Amphora portfolio You out there in Netherlands have some interesting domestic brands & blends which one will never find outside of NL, to name a few,Echte Frishe Heeren baai, Coopvaert and Voortrekker

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Again thanks for the welcome!

Rossi pipes are not available, I really like the Savenellis tho, those 340 Authors are appealing to me where I was generally more interested in bulldogs.

Somehow I never took Dutch domestic tobacco very serious. In cigar terms Dutch cigars are all machinemade shortfillers from subpar tobaccos. But if you ain't trying you'll never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.