Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
Hi, I've been reading old forums that pop up from when I Google, and I figured since I read through them I might as well join. I was first introduced the pipe world from a friend back in Albuquerque around 2012(always loved the smell of pipes and cigars, pipes mainly) now nine years later I went full board on collecting and restoring pipes. I've learned so much this past year from the run of the mill drugstore pipe to the big time cadillac brands, and the does and don'ts for restoring the well loved pipes back to life.
Can't wait to learn even more. Thanks for having me.
-Chris

Daydreamer

Might Stick Around
Mar 18, 2021
Indiana
Hi, I've been reading old forums that pop up from when I Google, and I figured since I read through them I might as well join. I was first introduced the pipe world from a friend back in Albuquerque around 2012(always loved the smell of pipes and cigars, pipes mainly) now nine years later I went full board on collecting and restoring pipes. I've learned so much this past year from the run of the mill drugstore pipe to the big time cadillac brands, and the does and don'ts for restoring the well loved pipes back to life.
Can't wait to learn even more. Thanks for having me.
-Chris
Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: T-townrestore

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard from central North Carolina. I've never been to Tacoma, but my father was stationed there during WWII while skippering minesweepers before shipping out to the Philippines. I have an additional connection to Tacoma, since that is where my minesweeper, USS Galland MSO 489 was built, with a hull of mostly Washington spruce, to be non-magnetic. It was built in the 1950's. I served on it in 1969/70. And it was sold to the Taiwan navy in 1993. I think you'll enjoy Forums; you can always learn something.

Reactions: T-townrestore

T-townrestore

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2021
Tacoma
Oh wow, that’s some good history. I didn’t know they needed to be made of wood for that reason. All the old industrial water front is now a long walking and biking area with a mix of restaurants.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
All the old industrial water front is now a long walking and biking area with a mix of restaurants.

When I was young Ruston Way was almost entirely undeveloped, with a couple of commercial buildings and a handful of restaurants: Top of the Ocean (long gone), the Harbor Lights, and one or two others. The whole shoreline from the smelter to Old Town was largely barren, but not in a pretty way. The remains of the burned out Dickman Mill lingered for years. Finally the city began permitting development in the 1980s and the last 40 years have seen explosive, and relatively intelligent, growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.