PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MikeCifone

Lurker
Jul 14, 2022
Los Angeles
Thanks @sablebrush52 ... just used a simple drinking alcohol soak (rum) to clean overnight a whole bunch of my pipes, and after wiping and cleaning, it's like a new experience. Clean, and pure smoke. (Is what I did ok?) I will take and heed your advice. It's a craft-hobby...

Thanks a million for the ref to Esterval's. I didn't know it. It's now on my list of purveyors. All the Rattray's and Gawaith's I want are out of stock -- I'll have to keep on the look out. They have a bunch of Rattray's; I'm thinking of Buckingham -- what do you think? As far as HU goes, what would you recommend I try?

Where down here in SoCal can we smoke pipes -- know of any good lounges? How about the best tobacco shops? I found one down in LA here: Tobacco Trader - Home - https://www.tobaccotraderla.com/ -- but their tin prices are way overpriced compared to the 'Net (almost double what I can find elsewhere online). Any suggestions?

Yes -- I seem to have an instinctual avoidance of relighting the pipe, but I need to learn to put it down, let it cool, and relight. This might be part of my issue. Lots to learn!

I really appreciate your taking the time to write back with so much great advice. Happy Piping!

Reactions: Servant King

MikeCifone

Lurker
Jul 14, 2022
Los Angeles
@warren99 Yeah, I've always been attracted to a more contemplative frame of mind, and the pipe is just natural. I'm told that Kant smoked a bowl of tobacco with hemp seeds -- "crackling tobacco" -- just at the start of his day. My day tends to become a whole pipe day unto itself, in pursuit of that nirvana smoke...

Reactions: warren99

MikeCifone

Lurker
Jul 14, 2022
Los Angeles
@mso489 Indeed, it is idyllic at least abstractly (!), and certainly has a downside (having to sequester physically and emotionally in order to think, then, with struggle -- at least for me -- to write). But I am comfortable with lots of alone time (and prefer it), much to the chagrin, I'm sure, of my partner...

I associate the South with pipe smoking, as well as New England, where I have lots of friends. My dream is to steal away to Vermont in winter with some fiction, strong drink, a pipe or three with some winter-appropriate blends. That's luxury.

I have been doing just that with the blends -- one tin here and there (which now amounts to like 25 -- yikes). I'm developing favorites: University Flake; Luxury Navy Rolls; Chelsea Morning and this special Wilke no. 193, along with their Lizzie Blood Red "aromatic" Virginia (really super special I think being a Virginia/Perique with this hint of an understated proprietary blood-red orange topping).

As for pipes themselves, I've been lurking over at eBay and finding nice Estate deals, but nothing beats trying it out at the store, as you're suggesting. And indeed, go easy there...

Thanks for your advice! And Happy Piping!

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Welcome from Pennsylvania and New York.

Some previous posts addressed how to ameliorate tongue bite—if you pack loosely, that can be adjusted by tamping as you go, and gently tamping can cut down on relights by keeping the ember in contact with the unburned tobacco.

I've found with some Virginias, you can almost always dry it more and it still might not be enough.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thanks @sablebrush52 ... just used a simple drinking alcohol soak (rum) to clean overnight a whole bunch of my pipes, and after wiping and cleaning, it's like a new experience. Clean, and pure smoke. (Is what I did ok?) I will take and heed your advice. It's a craft-hobby...

Thanks a million for the ref to Esterval's. I didn't know it. It's now on my list of purveyors. All the Rattray's and Gawaith's I want are out of stock -- I'll have to keep on the look out. They have a bunch of Rattray's; I'm thinking of Buckingham -- what do you think? As far as HU goes, what would you recommend I try?

Where down here in SoCal can we smoke pipes -- know of any good lounges? How about the best tobacco shops? I found one down in LA here: Tobacco Trader - Home - https://www.tobaccotraderla.com/ -- but their tin prices are way overpriced compared to the 'Net (almost double what I can find elsewhere online). Any suggestions?

Yes -- I seem to have an instinctual avoidance of relighting the pipe, but I need to learn to put it down, let it cool, and relight. This might be part of my issue. Lots to learn!

I really appreciate your taking the time to write back with so much great advice. Happy Piping!
Hi Mike,
There aren't really any lounges that welcome pipe smokers. The scene, and the mmoney, is all about cigars. Cigar Trader is about the only shop left in LA. You have to go to Orange County, Cerritos I think, where there's still a Tinder Box that reportedly has a good stock.

Prices will be higher at B&Ms because their costs, like State Excise Tax, are greater. I still recommend supporting your local B&M. Someday you're going to need them when internet sales get banned.

There are a couple of Estervals threads that you should look at so you know the risks involved.

As for what HU blends would I recommend, I'd suggest Directors' Cut, Out Of Africa, Moroccan Bazaar, Edward G, Louisiana Flake, Janneman Flake, Flanagan Flake, Jerry Saronno, and Old Fredder's. There are a lot of blends that have come out since I last ordered in 2919 that look interesting, like Casablanca. Also check out Ascanian #1 and 2, and Meistermischung #88. Though the #88 says there's no topping, that's bullshit. It's topped with rose geranium, a very traditional English style topping, which I really like.

Keep exploring. Have fun with this.

Reactions: MikeCifone