PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

irishn

Lurker
Sep 10, 2022
Hi I'm just starting pipe smoking...I'm living in London, UK.

Just thinking which would be better for a beginner: unfiltered briar or filtered MM Legend Corn Cob?

I'd be looking at smoking it with the Pieter Stokkebye Kentucky Maroon tobacco

Browny

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 10, 2022
Great Southern Land
Greetings from another new member.
As others have said, if your new the cobs are good and are cheap enough to see if it's your thing and find your groove.

You could even buy 2-3 and dedicate each to specific blends. You don't want to use aromatics in a pipe then try a nice clean say Virginia, flavours will meld which isn't good.

Hope you enjoy yourself here and in the new hobby.

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
Welcome! Cobs are cheap here in the colonies, but are they there? A cob here would be about 1/4 the price of a starter briar. There is a pipe club in London (I'm a member!):

The guys there are a friendly bunch and would help you get started. Meeting details online. If you can't make a meeting, email them and maybe you could meet up with a local member in your area.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Filters are personal choice. I smoke about one bowl a day, or less if I'm busy, so I usually skip filters. Most filter pipes can be smoked without a filter or an adaptor. You might try a filter MM cob to give you the options.

I've been to London twice and really enjoyed it. I climbed to the lantern at the top of the dome of St. Pauls. Try that if you cope with heights. Lots of stairs.

virginiapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
Virginia
Welcome from Northern Virginia.

Between those two, start with the cob. It’s an inexpensive way to get your feet wet and honing your technique

Reactions: Jacob74