PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtnGeo

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 29, 2021
Loveland, CO
Hi and welcome Lifera from northern Colorado. It was a wise move coming to this forum first. You can learn about the tips, that will make your experience a positive one.

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
Welcome from Alabama! There is way more then 1 pipe for every personality I want way to many (or do pipe people have multiple personalities? )

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Glad you're here!

A corn cob is a smart entry point for several reasons. It's inexpensive, for one thing. If pipe smoking isn't for you, you aren't out much. And perhaps more importantly: the various mistakes which beginners make -- which do some damage to pipes -- you'll make on a disposable cob, before buying something permanent.

Some major genres of pipe tobacco include,
  • Virginia
  • Virginia-Perique
  • Burley
  • English / Latakia mixtures
  • Oriental mixtures
  • Aromatics
(This is almost grossly simplistic and incomplete, but it's a starting point.)

Probably, you will hate some of these categories, as a category. The sooner you figure out what you have an aversion to, the sooner you can explore the genres that have potential for you.

And pipe smoking involves technique. It is a skill, or set of skills, to acquire. So don't give up when those first bowls aren't going like you expected.
Take the plunge, then come back here with your questions, realize your mistakes, and keep improving.

I don't exaggerate when I say that your technique will improve for many years, so take the long view. I've been pipe smoking for maybe 13 years, and I've just recently improved some things, resulting in much more enjoyment.

Welcome to the forum, from NE Wisconsin!

Status
Not open for further replies.