Hello! And How Do You Rotate Your Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyggeJon

Lurker
Jul 7, 2021
Hello! My name is Jonathan Cavett. I was born in Cleveland, Tennessee, but now live in Biddeford, Maine. I’ve been smoking a pipe for the past eight years, on and off, but only recently with regularity.

I started out smoking aromatic blends (mixed by a tobacconist in my hometown down south) in a Dr. Grabow given to me by a friend. Once I was able to afford it, I bought a Peterson billiard and smoked that for three or four years as my only pipe.

I made the costly mistake of downloading In Search of Pipe Dreams on my iPad a few months back and have been on a pipe-buying binge since. I now rotate between mostly aromatic blends (with a Peterson flake thrown in there on occassion) and a handful of pipes (three Peterson’s, a Comoy, a Savinelli, and a Stanwell).

I’ve been delighted to learn that many of my favorite writers also smoked a pipe (e.g., Arthur Miller, Shelby Foote, Jean-Paul Sartre, Bertrand Russell). I’ve found piping to be an incredibly pleasurable hobby and joined the forum to enjoy it with others.

My initial question is: how do you choose a pipe for the day? Do you rotate throughout the day or keep one pipe with you at intervals and smoke it on and off to allow it time to cool?

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I just pick a pipe I want to smoke for the morning (if time allows) and a pipe for the ride home from work. I only dedicated a few cobs to deer tongue blends and all my other pipes aren’t dedicated. My morning smoke if I have the time is always a deer tongue blend so I pick one of the cobs that’s dedicated to that stuff lol. Other then that I don’t consciously rotate, I just smoke what I feel like out of whatever I feel like smoking out of.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My initial question is: how do you choose a pipe for the day?
If I'm in the field I might smoke the same pipe throughout the day. Or, if working inside, I may swap out now and then. I'm have no set rules, my mind isn't wired that way. Others? Some find set rules enjoyable. One pipe one day. A day's rest for a smoked pipe. Pipes designated for certain types of blends. It's supposed to be an enjoyable experience, work out what works for you and your personality.

Jun 25, 2021
England
Hello! My name is Jonathan Cavett. I was born in Cleveland, Tennessee, but now live in Biddeford, Maine. I’ve been smoking a pipe for the past eight years, on and off, but only recently with regularity.

I started out smoking aromatic blends (mixed by a tobacconist in my hometown down south) in a Dr. Grabow given to me by a friend. Once I was able to afford it, I bought a Peterson billiard and smoked that for three or four years as my only pipe.

I made the costly mistake of downloading In Search of Pipe Dreams on my iPad a few months back and have been on a pipe-buying binge since. I now rotate between mostly aromatic blends (with a Peterson flake thrown in there on occassion) and a handful of pipes (three Peterson’s, a Comoy, a Savinelli, and a Stanwell).

I’ve been delighted to learn that many of my favorite writers also smoked a pipe (e.g., Arthur Miller, Shelby Foote, Jean-Paul Sartre, Bertrand Russell). I’ve found piping to be an incredibly pleasurable hobby and joined the forum to enjoy it with others.

My initial question is: how do you choose a pipe for the day? Do you rotate throughout the day or keep one pipe with you at intervals and smoke it on and off to allow it time to cool?
Hello and welcome from London, personally I smoke four different pipes and four different tobaccos each day

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
For me, i used to be cautious of what pipe I chose and when.

but now, we are only here for so long and I try to only smoke out of higher quality pipes regardless of when and where.

just enjoy it and don’t worry. Some people have a crazy refined pallet and are able to pick out different notes and smells from ghosting and what not and religiously rotate. I suppose I don’t care or realize the affects.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I don't smoke every day, but I choose my tobacco first which leads me to my pipe since I keep them to certain genres. Basically a few pipes will get blends with Latakia, a few pipes only get Virginia based blends, then a few pipes for aromatics. I don't like Latakia or aromoatics messing up my virginia flavors so I keep them apart.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I have a couple of pipes that are dedicated to a particular blend type, everything else falls into what I'm feeling at the moment.

The only time I actually put any thought into pipe selection is when I don't have time to smoke a large bowl, so I've purchased many "lunch break" pipes for those occasions.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I take 4 pipes with me to work. The ones that I've smoked get replaced the next day. Easy peasy.
In addition there is my Royal Yacht pipe, my two 1792 Flake pipes, my extras (good enough for aromatics or when I'm doing dirty work).
These rules are not rules at all really, and change over time. It's just sort of how it is right now.
I have 13 good pipes, which is almost enough.

HyggeJon

Lurker
Jul 7, 2021
I just pick a pipe I want to smoke for the morning (if time allows) and a pipe for the ride home from work. I only dedicated a few cobs to deer tongue blends and all my other pipes aren’t dedicated. My morning smoke if I have the time is always a deer tongue blend so I pick one of the cobs that’s dedicated to that stuff lol. Other then that I don’t consciously rotate, I just smoke what I feel like out of whatever I feel like smoking out of.
Have you found that smoking non-aromatic blends out of a pipe taints the pipe when you’re smoking something sweeter?

HyggeJon

Lurker
Jul 7, 2021
Hello and welcome from London, personally I smoke four different pipes and four different tobaccos each day
Hello! Are your pipes dedicated to particular tobaccos? Also, being in London, do your daily smokes coincide with other daily rituals, such as tea time?

Dudditz

Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
Welcome from New Jersey! I choose one for the day. One in the am with coffee will work for me after dinner with a wee dram...or iced tea...Start the next day with a different one. Rinse and repeat...(for me anyway)

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Hello and bienvenue from Montréal,

I also have few set rules, but I do have some pipes that I only smoke a particular blend in (like Lakelands for example).

Other than that, no particular order (like staggering them over days or having a particular pipe for a particular day). I just grab what I feel pulls me and embrace the chaos.

I may pick a pipe based on whether I'm smoking a flake or if I find a blend that does better in a shallower or wider bowl (or a taller one). But that's about all the thought that goes into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.