PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"Hey" from central North Carolina. There are a number of vets on Forums. I was in the U.S. Navy back during the Trojan War -- minesweeper radioman (defunct job description) and later a journalist. I spent some time home ported in Long Beach and got around California at that time and on later trips.

Hello. I just joined this forum, which is my first and only. I am not a huge fan of the inter webs, but after ending back here from multiple google searches for pipe related minutia, I thought I would give it a try.
Ok, about me. I currently live in...California. I am not from California, but this is just where life has me at the moment. Just hopefully not for a long moment.
I started smoking a pipe about a year and a half ago, using it to quit my 15 year pack a day plus habit of reds, and can-a-day habit of grizzly. I’ve always been a big fan of tobacco in all its wonderful shapes and forms, and I’ve participated in just about everything besides snuff...that stuff always mystified me. But, just using a pipe to quit cigarettes, I realized that I had found my favorite vessel of consumption for the wonderful tobbacer.
I usually like more traditional pipe shapes, especially billiards and billiard variations. I usually like to smoke mostly Virginia and Virginia/Periques, but I like a lot of variety within those categories (meaning everything from Orlik Golden Sliced through Bayou Morning Flake, and perdy much everything in between). But my staples consist of Bayou Morning Flake (and Bayou Morning), McConnells Scottish Flake, Hal O’ the Wynd, Haddo’s Delight, Stonehenge Flake, and Habana Daydream (maybe I just like Perique...) And then I have saved up a small stock of Latakia blends (Like Maltese Falcon and Platation Evening) for when the mood strikes me. I sometimes smoke other stuff, just usually not aromatics. But I guess it all just comes down to my mood when I’m choosing what to smoke.
Where I live isn’t the easiest place to buy pipe tobacco, so I do most of my purchasing from Smokingpipes.com and the like.
Other than that, I’m a Carpenter, a Vet, husband, father, and weirdo. And I think that about covers it. I’m happy to be here (I think).
And welcome from North Queensland, Australia ? I've found this site to be a courteous and helpful change from usual internet fare. Where I live isn't the easiest place to buy pipe tobacco, either, but that's because our taxes on it would pay off the US National Debt ?

Reactions: LongHairDontCare

LongHairDontCare

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2021
And welcome from North Queensland, Australia ? I've found this site to be a courteous and helpful change from usual internet fare. Where I live isn't the easiest place to buy pipe tobacco, either, but that's because our taxes on it would pay off the US National Debt ?
I have heard of the infamous taxes Down Under

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome from the state of Florida. Here are few of my favorite blends that are readily available. I do need to clarify that I only smoke flakes and plugs as those are my favorite cut of tobacco. If you have not smoked any, there is tons of info on the web about them. Just make sure you always test the draw before smoking.
I prefer a tad of moisture depending on which flake I am smoking. For example Capstan Blue Flake I smoke right out of the tin with no drying time at all.

Capstan Blue Flake
Peterson Deluxe Navy Rolls(used to be Dunhill Navy Rolls)
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky is -one of my favorite blends and one of the few that I bought 100 tins of in one shot.
Solani 633 is a vaper that comes in 50 gram tins(my favorite) or 100 gram tins that need to be jarred as they don't come vacuum sealed.
Solani 660 Silver Flake is a Virginia/Kentucky again comes in 100 gram tins that have to be jarred on arrival as they are also not vacuum sealed.
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro is a Vaper with some Kentucky.
The following are hard to find but not like Esoterica Stonehaven hard to find.

Astleys no 44 Dark Flake
Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug
Fribourg and Treyer Vintage Flake
Fribourg and Treyer Special Brown Flake

Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake
Wessex Brown Virginia Flake
Wessex Gold Virginia Flake
Wessex Gold Slice
Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake( the most finicky in my cellar.)
Samuel Gawith St James Flake
Samuel Gawith Kendal Plug

This should keep you busy. I found the hard to finds from small mom and pops stores with little to no internet access in the low tax states. I have to admit back in 2012 when I bought most of mine there were no limits and I could buy 25-100 tins at a shot. I could also buy Samuel Gawith bulks in 5 pound lots. These mom and pops loved me as no one was buying in 5 pound lots back then.

I also should clarify that I love tins and hate jars. Thankfully most of my favorites came in tins.

Reactions: LongHairDontCare

LongHairDontCare

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2021
Welcome from the state of Florida. Here are few of my favorite blends that are readily available. I do need to clarify that I only smoke flakes and plugs as those are my favorite cut of tobacco. If you have not smoked any, there is tons of info on the web about them. Just make sure you always test the draw before smoking.
I prefer a tad of moisture depending on which flake I am smoking. For example Capstan Blue Flake I smoke right out of the tin with no drying time at all.

Capstan Blue Flake
Peterson Deluxe Navy Rolls(used to be Dunhill Navy Rolls)
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky is -one of my favorite blends and one of the few that I bought 100 tins of in one shot.
Solani 633 is a vaper that comes in 50 gram tins(my favorite) or 100 gram tins that need to be jarred as they don't come vacuum sealed.
Solani 660 Silver Flake is a Virginia/Kentucky again comes in 100 gram tins that have to be jarred on arrival as they are also not vacuum sealed.
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro is a Vaper with some Kentucky.
The following are hard to find but not like Esoterica Stonehaven hard to find.

Astleys no 44 Dark Flake
Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug
Fribourg and Treyer Vintage Flake
Fribourg and Treyer Special Brown Flake

Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake
Wessex Brown Virginia Flake
Wessex Gold Virginia Flake
Wessex Gold Slice
Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake( the most finicky in my cellar.)
Samuel Gawith St James Flake
Samuel Gawith Kendal Plug

This should keep you busy. I found the hard to finds from small mom and pops stores with little to no internet access in the low tax states. I have to admit back in 2012 when I bought most of mine there were no limits and I could buy 25-100 tins at a shot. I could also buy Samuel Gawith bulks in 5 pound lots. These mom and pops loved me as no one was buying in 5 pound lots back then.

I also should clarify that I love tins and hate jars. Thankfully most of my favorites came in tins.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I actually have, or have had most of these, and it’s pretty inline with what I normally smoke and save away. But I don’t think I’ve ever tried the Kendal Plug, I’ll have to look into it.

LongHairDontCare

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2021
Kendal Plug is basically just Best Brown Flake in a plug form.
I like the Best Brown Flake, but not enough to need a plug of it. Thanks anyways, that is quite a comprehensive list. It looks like it covers 75% of what I smoke, minus my Scottish Flake and Bayou Morning Flake

Status
Not open for further replies.