PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I saw an advertisement for a TV show where the main character is a pipe smoker. It looks like an Oom Paul corncob from the look of the commercial but there is not much detail on the show. It appears to be a western and the main character is working for the railroad in the late 1800's Anyone else looking forward to seeing more? Seems the show is on its third season after looking up some details. It's on AMC on Saturday night. Guess it's another PVR show after Walking Dead, Mad Men and Sons of Anarchy. The wife will be thrilled lol

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I love the series andI have been waiting patiently for the next season.

I Checked out the trailer for the third season and the pipe is new for the character. I love it!

Bohannan smoked cigars the first two seasons. I am glad to see he has moved up to pipes!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
My wife and I watch it on Netflix. It's not bad. There's two strong female (they tend to see more development in the first few episodes) leads in it and there's enough "cowboys" in it to please my missus I suspect.
With 10 being high I give it a high 7.5. But honestly I really connect with one of the character whose bi-racial. Granted his life has been more extreme then mine, but I can understand some of his feelings.

Dec 24, 2012
I watched the first season. It was ok. It is filmed outside of Calgary where I grew up so the most enjoyable thing for me is watching the countryside that I recall from my youth. I never tuned in for season 2 but may pick it up.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
I've also watched all of the episodes and enjoyed it. It was a rough and tough era, and I can only imagine what kind of strong tobacco they smoked in those early days.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I watched the first season and really liked it, I'll have to look into the second. I don't remember much smoking, but there was a good amount of whisky!

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I've also watched all of the episodes and enjoyed it. It was a rough and tough era, and I can only imagine what kind of strong tobacco they smoked in those early days.
I'm sure it was 1Q :nana:

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
The opener was great. The meer Cullen got was awesome. It got a lot of attention, screen time, and a few lines. All good for pipe smoking. The shape and size are exactly what I'd like to find for myself.
If you still haven't caught the show, watch it!

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Watched the season 3 premier last night. When he took that pipe out of a frozen dead man's mouth and lit up with plumes of rich, white smoke all around him, I ran for my pipe and lit up ASAP.
Pipestud

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Thanks guys for mentioning this show. I hadn't heard of it and i'm going to try to see if its availble on Netflix streaming.
I just love westerns and was very disappointed when Westwood was cancelled on HBO years ago.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We had a big neighborhood/pool party here last night and I forgot all about it! They're showing it next Saturday again and it might show up in the "On Demand" list...
Note to me: Breaking Bad premieres tonight @ 9 PM!

Jan 8, 2013
Allan, season one and two are on Netflix. If you like westerns I highly recommend watching it. I don't have AMC anymore so I'll have to wait for it to go on I Tunes for download before I can catch season 3. Netflix finally got season two about a week or so ago, so you'll be waiting likely a full year before season three hits Netflix.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
I watched Seasons One and Two and liked them a lot and was happy to see Season Three start up. It's a pretty good Western.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I didn't know that the 3rd season had already started! guess I'll have to find it online somewhere. Great show

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
I love this show. Started watching on Netflix about a year ago on a whim and fell in love. My dad raised me on old western's so its a fun modern show that kicks up some good ole' nostalgia. Many of my friends that I've tried to get to watch it don't care much for it though. I guess it's hit or miss for people.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Hell on Wheels has everything essential to a Western: Indians, horses, buffaloes, lots of gunplay and knife fights, trains, saloons, whores, doublecrossing....good God, the list goes on and on.
Here's a clip of a wonderfully filmed and edited attack and the only sound you hear is a lovely ballad by Mumford & Sons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-si9_hrflzw
Colm Meaney, one of the finest character actors working today, is every bit as good as the lead Anson Mount and Common.
This show is watchable, folks.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.