PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Yes sir. The History Channel did this.. They got bored with history, and started to sensationalize everything that ever happened. They came with aliens, time travelers, fake pawn shops... you name it.
This was the last resort after programming that was almost 100% dedicated to Nazi Germany stopped drawing viewers. I swear, for a while there I thought they were gonna change the name from The History Channel to The Hitler Channel. They still have an inordinately large number of shows about Hitler, the SS, etc. ? I mean WWII is interesting from an historical perspective, but how many shows about the “Third Reich” can you possibly air without being redundant?
So true it gives me a cerebral hemorrhage just thinking about it. Sadly, pretty much every channel in the Discovery Channel portfolio follows the same formula. I’m waiting for the story that Oak Island sank into the waters as a result of all the idiot holes bored into it.
I will admit, I do watch the Oak Island one. I kind of have a love/hate relationship with that one. The narration and writing/production is stupid as hell. They dig a hole, find a friggin’ rock, and the narrator says “A rock? In the ground? Could it be that this stone was placed in the dirt by Knights Templar?!” ? It’s so bad it’s laughable, and the way they’ve strung the show out for so long with meaningless filler is pathetic, but that said, I keep watching the garbage because I think there’s actually something there, and did long before the show began. My personal hypothesis is that a sinkhole swallowed a pirate or privateer ship that might’ve been harboring there, but who knows. The fact that they found human bone and bits of parchment at a depth of 90’ (or more, I can’t remember), says that there’s something of at least minor historical interest there.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"At least Obelisk doesn't 100% imply what the material is."

Actually it does Michael, but I guess metal obelisk would describe these structures.

Obelisk:

noun

1. a tapering stone pillar, typically having a square or rectangular cross section, set up as a monument or landmark.
    synonyms: column, pillar, needle, shaft, monolith, monument, memorial
Regards,

Jay.?

"At least Obelisk doesn't 100% imply what the material is."

Actually it does Michael, but I guess metal obelisk would describe these structures.

Obelisk:

noun

1. a tapering stone pillar, typically having a square or rectangular cross section, set up as a monument or landmark.
    synonyms: column, pillar, needle, shaft, monolith, monument, memorial
Regards,

Jay.?
Yes... but that definition is based on historical obelisks. Kind of like the word cabin... implies a small wooden house, but the term "log cabin" definitely implies the materials used. "Monolithic obelisks" is how you'd normally see the term used in art history. But, there is no modern production of obelisks (until now) to reaffirm new materials. But, "obelisk" doesn't have the Latin for stone built into the word like mono-lithic does. So, it is easier to redefine the word, obelisk, than it is to redefine monolith.
Definitions change all the time, but to change the meaning of a word meant to imply a specific material is more absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.