PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Bigfoot, who is obviously an interdimensional biological entity (or is that intradimensional?) and a scout for aliens keeping an eye on mankind, planted it. Exactly why would aliens (and Bigfoot) plant such a device? Only the folks at Area 51 would know the answer to that question.
I told you all, it was Bigfoot. The aliens noticed how mankind's level of intelligence couldn't handle the existence of an object like that by reading this thread, so they sent Bigfoot back through the interdimensional (or is that intradimensional?) portal to come down and retrieve this device...probably be at least another 750 years before they test our intelligence again.

• Haha
Reactions: Capt Morgan
Utah 2001: A Space Odyssey Monolith Has Mysteriously Disappeared | IndieWire

Whatever did it... it keeps pissing the moneys off.

Ok, it bugs the hell out of me that the first reports called it a monolith, which is a term used for something made from a single huge stone... It means "One stone." It's NOT stone, but metal. It's a beam, or an ingot.
They obviously called it that to make a connection to the actual stone monolith used in 2001 Space Odyssey. It helped the conspiracy or added to the mythology, sparking imaginations. But, it is NOT a monolith. Words matter, do they not? But, now every yahoo on the internet is calling all of these "monoliths." It's giving me a headache.

Well, to me this malapropism is like hearing someone refer to the asphalt surface of a the interstates and cobblestones or to the study of space as cosmetology. To say "a metal monolith" is like saying a "log cabin made entirely of concrete blocks."

And, as a side rant, I always hate to hear stupid people on the History Channel refer to the pyramids as something the ancients could never have done without help from aliens, as if they were just cave men with wooden clubs. All the while they were doing intricate metalwork and lapidary that rivals what artists are still trying to do with CAD and 3D scans. Everything that is not gold here, is gemstones cut to fit perfectly into those channels. The morons on TV would probably say that everything made back then was aided by aliens. We are becoming an idiotic people.
1607091552237.png

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The giant at the top of the beanstalk got a new pipe. It had a stinger. He pulled the stinger out and tossed it. That's where it landed.

Then Paul Bunyan was on a hike and he found it stuck in the ground and took it.

Makes sense to me.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Ok, it bugs the hell out of me that the first reports called it a monolith, which is a term used for something made from a single huge stone... It means "One stone." It's NOT stone, but metal. It's a beam, or an ingot.
They obviously called it that to make a connection to the actual stone monolith used in 2001 Space Odyssey. It helped the conspiracy or added to the mythology, sparking imaginations. But, it is NOT a monolith. Words matter, do they not? But, now every yahoo on the internet is calling all of these "monoliths." It's giving me a headache.
Not only the “-lith” appears to be erroneously applied, but the “mono-“ as well. In a closer shot, I’m pretty sure I saw bolt heads along the edges, implying multi-piece construction.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
^I hate that guy, ha ha.
There was a cool documentary about of the Easter Island natives used to "move" the statues. They basically walk them. Up hill, down, up steps. It's amazing to watch and think that people did this thousands of years ago.

There was a cool documentary about of the Easter Island natives used to "move" the statues. They basically walk them. Up hill, down, up steps. It's amazing to watch and think that people did this thousands of years ago.

They way overdramatize this stuff, and they never show guys just trying to move it in general. In college our sculpture professor was doing these large monument sized works all over Birmingham. One required a stone about the size of that Easter Island guy. It was true that a front-end loader flipped trying to move it, but 20 of us college students, NOT 20 huge musclemen, but just 20 regular people using poles and fulcrums managed to move it onto a flatbed truck. I guess showing stuff like that would take some of the mystery away, but really, with some planning and a few poles and blocks you can move just about anything. I've seen just two guys flip a car. These types of shows make us look and become more idiotic. Way underestimating what we are capable of.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
There’re bound to be more “monoliths” out there that haven’t been discovered yet. They’re much cheaper in bulk.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
They way overdramatize this stuff, and they never show guys just trying to move it in general. In college our sculpture professor was doing these large monument sized works all over Birmingham. One required a stone about the size of that Easter Island guy. It was true that a front-end loader flipped trying to move it, but 20 of us college students, NOT 20 huge musclemen, but just 20 regular people using poles and fulcrums managed to move it onto a flatbed truck. I guess showing stuff like that would take some of the mystery away, but really, with some planning and a few poles and blocks you can move just about anything. I've seen just two guys flip a car. These types of shows make us look and become more idiotic. Way underestimating what we are capable of.

Yes sir. The History Channel did this.. They got bored with history, and started to sensationalize everything that ever happened. They came with aliens, time travelers, fake pawn shops... you name it.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Yes sir. The History Channel did this.. They got bored with history, and started to sensationalize everything that ever happened. They came with aliens, time travelers, fake pawn shops... you name it.
So true it gives me a cerebral hemorrhage just thinking about it. Sadly, pretty much every channel in the Discovery Channel portfolio follows the same formula. I’m waiting for the story that Oak Island sank into the waters as a result of all the idiot holes bored into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.