PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Pipenwheels

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2020
Ohio
I finally chose to go with a Rossi Lucca 611EX. I was going to get the Rossi Lucca 606EX but wanted the dublin bowl style.
I think that is a great start! My first "big" pipe was a savinelli hercules 606EX. Looking back I am glad I did that because I smoked way too hot back then and would've ruined an artisan pipe. Not ruined but definitely taken some years off it's life! Boswell is one of my favorite "heavy" pipe makers, but make sure you like them first. That Rossi is a fine pipe!

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
I think that is a great start! My first "big" pipe was a savinelli hercules 606EX. Looking back I am glad I did that because I smoked way too hot back then and would've ruined an artisan pipe. Not ruined but definitely taken some years off it's life! Boswell is one of my favorite "heavy" pipe makers, but make sure you like them first. That Rossi is a fine pipe!
I will definitely have to get a Boswell but I have a limited budget. I began on 2/14/21 and have already collected 3 pipes and 14 blends. I believe I am good for awhile lol

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I will definitely have to get a Boswell but I have a limited budget. I began on 2/14/21 and have already collected 3 pipes and 14 blends. I believe I am good for awhile lol
I would say that’s a good start! It can quickly get out of hand. Most of us here are beyond salvation but you might be able to save yourself before you get sucked in! Seriously though, it sounds like you’ve made some good choices to start. Spend some time getting to know them and I think you’ll be well rewarded. When (notice I didn’t say if) you decide to branch out you’ll have a better idea of what to expect and what you like.

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
I would say that’s a good start! It can quickly get out of hand. Most of us here are beyond salvation but you might be able to save yourself before you get sucked in! Seriously though, it sounds like you’ve made some good choices to start. Spend some time getting to know them and I think you’ll be well rewarded. When (notice I didn’t say if) you decide to branch out you’ll have a better idea of what to expect and what you like.
Thus far, my blend collection consists of Peterson Nightcap, Mac Baren Mixture Scottish, C&D Autumn Evening, Stokkebye Peaches & Cream, Sutliff Creme Brulee, Erin Go Bragh Irish Whiskey, Sutliff Dark Decadence and Sutliff Maple Walnut. I just purchased last night Stokkebye 314 Dark Fired, C&D Nutty Irishman and Sutliff Burma Road.. waiting for their arrival :)

Reactions: ofafeather

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
Ambitious start! Thing I was told was, "Enjoy yourself". 'Do you', and do not let anyone else tell you any different!
I agree. I am simply getting 1-2oz of different kinds that way, if I do not like them, I am not out much money. The ones I really do like, I will buy 1lb+.. I really love Mixture Scottish and Stokkebye P&C.. I will also get some twists, navy flakes..etc.. just running the gambit. Just nervous about trying brands that dont get much attention especially reviews.

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
I agree. I am simply getting 1-2oz of different kinds that way, if I do not like them, I am not out much money. The ones I really do like, I will buy 1lb+.. I really love Mixture Scottish and Stokkebye P&C.. I will also get some twists, navy flakes..etc.. just running the gambit. Just nervous about trying brands that dont get much attention especially reviews.
And an opinion is just that...an opinion. Have you ever been to a film that was panned by critics, yet you enjoyed it yourself?

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Here's a list of pipes filtered by 3oz+ on smoking pipes. A Castello freehand in there that's over 4oz.

I'd also add that you can add more filters such as shape, length, materials etc to narrow your search and find something that matches what you're looking for beyond weight.