PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Gabby Hayes

Lurker
Jun 6, 2021
So. Cal.
It varies from person to person. Generally it causes gum disease, deep staining of your teeth, at least before they fall out. Other possibilities are mouth cancer, throat cancer, COPD, lung cancer, physical addiction, psychological addiction, and other rewards. Denial becomes your religion. Other than that, no fears.
The Surgeon General put out a report a few years back saying that pipe smoking for non inhalers poses very few health consequences statistically. Lung cancer was found to be virtually nonexistent (so much for secondhand smoke pundits) in pipe smokers while oral cancer was only slightly higher statistically than non smokers. And pipe smokers had the same if not longer life expectancy as non smokers. So take it for what it’s worth.

Last edited:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
The Surgeon General put out a report a few years back saying that pipe smoking for non inhalers poses very few health consequences statistically. Lung cancer was found to be virtually nonexistent (so much for secondhand smoke pundits) in pipe smokers while oral cancer was only slightly higher statistically than non smokers. And pipe smokers had the same if not longer life expectancy as non smokers. So take it for what it’s worth.
Expect the worst, hope for the best. Sometimes, you come out even.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
adventuredemotivator.jpeg

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
We all have a Jiminy Cricket on our shoulder. My brother @Jerry144 and I both started smoking late, in our 50's, with cigars. He always says to his Jiminy, "You have something else you'd prefer to die from?" I always say to mine, "What's smoking going to do, kill me when I'm 90?" I don't think I'd see it differently were I younger, and I heartily approve my children piping, especially given that they are practicing moderation.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Are you referring to the 1979 Surgeon General's report?

Jan 27, 2020
I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself.
— Johnny Carson

I ain’t in this for my health.
— Levon Helm

Johnny Carson gave up alcohol in part because he was a nasty drunk.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
If you have COPD you probably shouldn't smoke a pipe.
If you have COPD you shouldn't smoke !
I take a break from smoking if I am unwell or have any respiratory tract issues eg a cold or sore throat.
I had chronic sinusitis some years ago which stopped me from smoking for months at a time. Needed extensive sinus surgery to fix. I had a great ENT surgeon and I'm good now.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff