PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's not the complexity I'm worried about. I usually order two pints of Guinness and let barmaid wait to take the glasses away. If I drink the duration of pipe smoking, I'll be too drunk to care. I stick to Diet Pepsi.

Reactions: JOHN72

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Definitely enjoy a hot, strong cup of coffee with a straight burley or straight Izmir Turkish tobacco.
If I smoke an aromatic or navy flake, nothing - Just the baccy
Bold English or Balkan maybe a dram of scotch or rye whiskey

• Love
Reactions: Egg Shen and JOHN72

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I too find alcohol doesn’t necessarily enhance my pipe smoking. I prefer water. However, with a cigar, Bourbon, Scotch, or Rum is fun to try and paif.

Reactions: JOHN72

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Coffee unsweetened and Burley. Tea sweetened and burley. These are the norm.

I have a friend that enjoys Port when he smokes and several members here have said Port. Interesting.

I enjoy scotch in the winter and bourbon in summer but not with a Pipe. Beer either. I prefer Guinness but not with a pipe.

Pipe is too subtle in my opinion. Flavors would be undetectable with strongly flavored drink.

One other interesting note. Ice-water as a side. Now that Ive heard that mentioned several times it’s worth a try.

myhyeung

Lurker
Aug 9, 2021
Hongkong
I only drink water or wine with both pipes and cigars. Port and other sweet fortified wine are smokers favorites but I find them too sweet. Much prefer a half-dry strong new world cabernet/zinfandel or something of that sort, they pair perfectly with cigars and english blends. I don't pair beer with smoke, they always leave a dry bitter after-taste in the mouth and make the smoke bitter as well, same with coffee, which don't happen when I drink them on their own.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and JOHN72
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
In the '90s, I remember cigar people talking about pairing port and whiskies with cigars. I often found these pairings didn't necessarily enhance my enjoyment on either side; the subtleties and complexities of a fine cigar and vintage port were masked or diminished.

The kinds of bourbons and whiskies I enjoy most have layers of flavour and aroma that don't seem to be enhanced by tobacco. That's not to say that I don't have a cigar or pipe with whisky, just that I'm not getting 100% of the nuance that I paid for if I pair them—if I do have them together, I'll lean towards a less refined bourbon or whisky to have with my cigar or pipe.