Have You Ever Been Laughed At For Smoking A Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Being of similar age range, I can relate to the situation. I got a lot of blowback when I would return home from college. Family tried to talk me out of it for years and friends were quizzical at best. I stuck with it, and they all got used to it. I recently was helping an old high school friend move into a new house. His older brother (who I haven't seen or talked to in over 5 years) was surprised I didn't have a pipe on my person at the time. He went on to tell me he hears all about "Dan the pipe man" and we chatted about pipes and tobacco for an hour. It was surprising to me how people associate me and pipes together. It's just a hobby!
Laugh it off and give it time. People will accept it eventually.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Yes I have, and no I don't care. When asked "WHY" for any of my hobbies, the answer is always, "because I can".

oldmannk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2014
Sounds like you enjoy what you do and are happy with they pipe. And the sound like they are unhappy people.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
This is a fascinating thread
Having smoked cigars ( after starting with pipes) for many years, most of my friends were surprised at me switching back to pipes. After time, two of them tried pipe smoking (something they had done earlier in life) and got 'hooked'again!
When I'm smoking in the street in NYC I often get stared at but experience surprisingly little negatativety. I love the little kids reactions
They stare in wonderment

Jan 8, 2013
+1 Broth

If they are laughing at you, it only tells the world something about them. They aren't above putting others down to make themselves feel good.
That said, they could've just been giving you a hard time I guess.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I don't understand what they are laughing about? What is so funny about a pipe?
Seriously, what do they find humorous about it? I just don't get it...
I guess I will have to start smoking in public places to find out, although other than cigar bars there aren't many places one can smoke anymore.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Unfortunately there is an unlimited supply of Popeye and Sherlock comments. I just smile. I enjoy smoking my pipe more than I give a f*ck about what people think of me. I also smoke English blends so I never get the "remind me of my Grandfather" line. My son says it smells like a burning Christmas tree. As many have stated above, keep a thick skin and enjoy your pipe. Happy smoking!

adyingbreath

Lurker
Mar 5, 2014
Not yet but im sure that day will come and when it does it will b there loss for not understanding why it is we do this

jsmarriner

Lurker
Feb 24, 2014
I would welcome any snot nosed kid (early 20s) to laugh at me. After four combat tours, nothing much phases me. Call me Popeye? Ok, ever see that guy in a fight? Call me Sherlock? The guy was a genius and a master at observation, plus he wasn't bad in a fight either. So thanks punk, for noticing that I am smarter than you and can likely kick yer sorry behind. Now take a walk.
In all seriousness though, I just lit my first pipe 3 days ago. While I will still enjoy a good cigar fro time to time in a social situation, I am a convert to the pipe now. I was sold the first time I had to relight and it didn't taste horrible. Cigars cant compete there.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
A lot of people find it easier to mock what they don't understand. You just have to figure out if it's good-natured ribbing or malicious in intent. My friends always busted each other constantly, what I would do if they ever called me Popeye would be to invite them over to dinner at a later date, serve spinach, then return the mocking in kind. A Popeye for a Popeye...

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
No. I have my pipe in my mouth, just about constantly. I'm only 38, but about 50% grey. Maybe that helps. To be honest, I don't care. I smoke anywhere I go, as long as I'm outdoors.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I have had some odd remarks. In college (a small Baptist institution) a group of pre-seminarians told me "Christians don't smoke". Unfortunately for them, the dean of the religion department was behind them and started reaming them via St Paul, in the middle of which he pulled out his Falcon and lit up.
My favorite time, I was standing outside an institution I am affiliated with, having a bowl before a meeting and staring off vacantly. A frat boy type walks by me to the front entrance and throws a "Nice pipe doucher" my way. He goes in and turns into our HR department. I finish up and walk in just as he is beginning his interview. Our HR director looks up and says "Oh good you can meet one of our Board members." Kid turns green and breaks into a sweat. It turned out in addition to having no people skills, he had no accounting skills so karma came his way.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Last July I was laughed at by my favorite U.K. tobacconist extraordinaire when he saw me smoking a pipe. When I first met him, he gave me an Ascorti...so it was not smoking a pipe that made him laugh, it was the pipe I was smoking. He had never seen such a thing in his life.
santia-pipe.jpg

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
That story made me laugh quite a bit lochinvar, that kid must have had a massive "oh shit" moment when you walked in. Don't you wish you could candidly capture moments like that all the time :lol: ?

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
@ js marriner, totally agree. A very good way for some punk to lose a tooth.

oldtoby

Dec 7, 2011
"Douchers"..... lol classic...
@skapunk1, Digging on the Iron Maiden T-shirt.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Yikes... some people would actually entertain the thought of punching someone in the mouth and lose ones teeth if they laugh, and or make snide remarks about you smoking a freaking pipe! Thanks to Uncle Sam in 1966 & '67 and seeing too much shit already I've since then become a pussycat. Bottom line... it ain't no big issue in the whole realm of things so relax. If ya let the small things in life drag ya down then the big things will kill ya. People who laugh, and or make fun of things they don't understand are the ones who are more often than not the insecure ones. It's just part of life, and the way things are. However, don't anyone ever dare make fun, and or laugh at my sipping an occasional quality Sherry while smoking a pipe. That is something I will never tolerate and blood will spill. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.