Have You Ever Been Laughed At For Smoking A Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Absolutely. I have smoked a couple of times at work and it was laughed at. I could care less.

I also brought a couple of cobs and let some of the guys who were curious have a go at it. They seemed to enjoy it.

Mostly people have never seen anyone smoke a pipe and they immediately think you are trying to imitate Sherlock Holmes or something. The laughing is a result of ignorance.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Only laughed at by my girlfriend... :? But she eventually realized I was a lost cause lol.

Mar 3, 2014
As some of the other gentlemen have stated: Don´t give a damn about what they think of you or that they laugh! If it gives you enjoyment it is your business.
I tend to get odd interests (besides pipe smoking I am an avid fish keeper and have 11 tanks) and people and colleagues sometimes react with ridicule and I really couldnt care less. In my view the world would be so much less interesting without people that go against what mainstream society consider acceptable interests.
My colleagues are all health freaks and spend considerable amount of time on treadmills, which I consider one of the most idiotic mind numbing activities man has ever come up with, but do I say it? No, there is such a thing as good manners which some people seem be in short supply of.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Nope, never. The closest has been a couple of occasions where someone laughingly called me "Sherlock", but both those occasions were followed by something along the lines of "Really cool pipe!"

I'll get the occasional faked coughing fit by someone of a disapproving nature. Mostly I get compliments like "That smells really nice!" or "I love the smell of a pipe!"

Aug 14, 2012
I was surprised at the "seriously count as close friends"designation for three people in one group. It is rare to have that many really close friends at the same gathering. Now I can see they are not friends at all. Real friends do not make fun of you. You have all gone through the feeling out and getting to know process and accept each other. These appear to be enemies.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
Absolutely. Almost nobody smokes pipes in northern Japan. My kids call me Popeye and Grandpa. The teachers relentlessly try to tell me that cigs are better. Men at the bar laugh and say that I'm probably smoking weed.
All of that just makes the bowls that much sweeter.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
foggymountain wrote:

These appear to be enemies.
I don't know, and this is just my opinion, but tagging them as 'enemies' seems a tad strong. Number one: I don't know the age group as that can account to some extent. Number two: Alcoholic drinks were involved at the time. Number three: I've found throughout my years that it is friends who feel more at ease, especially while drinking, to find it it amusing to poke fun, ridicule, and joke about each other (me included).
However, only the OP knows just how serious they were. If by chance they were indeed serious then they are by no means friends, but certainly not enemies. They would then be, as the OP so aptly stated... 'asshats'. :wink:

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
They would stop laughing if ya pour a whiskey shot on them and then light em on fire.
people don't tend to laugh at me.

I usually have to ok people to laugh when I tell a joke.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Just to clarify, the three that laughed at me were not the three that I count as close friends. And yes foggy, I am extremely lucky to have that many people that I can seriously call brothers from other mothers :lol:
To answer your question phil, they ranged in age from 19-21, and we had yet to reach the point in the night where alcoholic beverages would become a major issue haha But like I said before, these kids are asshats. I'm going out of my way to try and distance myself from them, so there ya go.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Why did they think it was dumb? Was it, as said, they thought you were giving up beer and taking up scotch? Then it would be simple ignorance. I have not known many 20 somethings to be particularly wise.
PS I wonder what the reaction would have been had you said you'd given up cigarettes for weed?

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
As far as their ignorance level, I don't now. But I can tell you that these particular gentleman would welcome me with open arms if I was to take up the wacky tabaccy :crazy:

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Being a salesman all my life, I Thrive on Rejection! Bottom line, piss off if you don't like it...

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
To answer your question phil, they ranged in age from 19-21
Well then that explains everything! My daughter, who is 41, simply shakes her head at it, but my granddaughter loves the smell and actually looks forward to when I light up my pipe. People at that age cannot relate to smoking a pipe as, more likely than not, they have not experienced it as a common practice as I did when I was at that age and consider it as an oddity. Granted, when I was that age I was not smoking a pipe and smoking cigarettes (and other things :wink: ), but smoking a pipe was a very common practice and not given a second look.

chuckles

Lurker
Feb 26, 2014
Given the age of the 'asshats' in question, I would attribute their mockery to their lack of comprehension. The slow and methodical act of pipe smoking is alien in an age of instant gratification.
Never been laughed at for smoking...unless I use my bubble pipe.

3904400637_3975cac2b2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.