PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I have said this several times before, French manufacturers did and still are doing lots of pipes with smaller chamber size, perhaps partly this wad due to a fact that traditional French tobaccies are strong yet mostly shag/ribbon cut,
I'd suggest to any person who is interested in having such pipes to explore onlineshop:Pipe.Fr/Pipes de Saint Claude

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Guys, many thanks for your suggestions.
Seems that the French pipe makers have indeed small pipes.
Found quiet a few from Chacom and will probably get one.

They have the "Lizon" line, which are small , but longer pipes with a silver band and the "Plume line", which are small classic pipes.

Ropp is also an option.

This got me interested into the French pipe making history actually :D
Its interesting that french pipes, the country where briar pipes came from, are not so popular as English and Italian pipes.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
you're right I apologize.. it's just frustrating when people use a non-measurement to say what they want.

I would like a knee-height pile of hay.
Well how wide is the pile? How dense? How tall is the person?
I think you can see what I mean.

as cosmic said.. group size is the raw block of briar. It has only very little to do with the finished pipe dimensions.

try looking at Butz-Choquin. the Supermate line is premier briar and not too expensive for what it is. no silver band though.

d68yjlc4aDBs2czc-3353z0q9ikdgfZLfz_JSdPbk9U.jpg

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
And, for the record, I know exactly the range size your referring to when you use the Dunhill groupings. For the most part the group sizes are within a certain range. I wish everyone would use it so there would be a common and simplified language.

Reactions: Celius

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
And, for the record, I know exactly the range size your referring to when you use the Dunhill groupings. For the most part the group sizes are within a certain range. I wish everyone would use it so there would be a common and simplified language.
Yes, its much easier to use this group sizes.
That works for me, when I compare measurments of a pipe to the measurments of a Dunhill, that has same shape.
Its never 1:1, but like you said it provides an approximate range.

Iwan Ries uses this system in their shop as well.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark

Here are a couple more. You can always check to see if it's available in a silver, or silver colored, band.

This Chacom is a nice little pipe and its even got an ebonite stem puffy I bought one myself two years ago. Not a Dunhill however, as the bite is too thick (but can be modified of course) and smokes hot, if not very careful. Tastes good from first bowl and it seems well made.

More so in Europe due to the high cost of tobacco. which is why a European dealer may have more of what you're looking for. The Danish Pipe Shop has a pipe locator as well, which is how I was able to find something along the lines of what you are looking for in a minute.

Danes have always loved smaller pipes, compared to Germany/USA, also in the days when tobacco was almost (tax)free here in Denmark.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't boom up French pipes too much. They are a best kept secret. Not only was France the first big user of briar as pipe material, but most of the "classic English shapes" originated in France. French made pipes are always above their price point in quality. Lots of competition and pride among French pipe makers. With smaller bowls, you can always get a long smoke with flake/coin/plug/rope cuts. The late great fish'n'banjo put me onto small pipes and was, not surprisingly, correct.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have always used the Dunhill group sizes as a guide. It is not an exact science but for myself I find them very useful.

I personally have no use for a group 2 as I have the time to smoke 4's and 5's. I have never looked to buy a group 2 so not even sure of their actual sizes.
You could always take a group 4 and cut the top off a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.