PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Sure...
The pipe locator at smokingpipes.com is an excellent place to start. Even if you eventually go with another source for your pipe, you can get a good start by clicking on the range of bowl diameters.

I really hope this helps. And, be sure to show off your new pipe.
Thank you.
But there are no much pipes to choose from in that size therethe classic billiard style.
The closest that it gets is a Butz Choquin.
Now compare it to the options for bigger bowls.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You might try a European dealer. I think you'll find moe choices in smaller sizes. Just found this at The Danish Pipe Shop and it looks to be close to what you're looking for:

Sorry, I missed the "billiard" part. You can enter in pipe shapes too. It really is a very flexible little program thing.

But, you may be onto something about brands and pipe sizes. You might find more options in Savinelli, Nordings, and Petes. Most All of my Savinellis are in the .70x1.22 range.

But, I also have a similar problem finding a 1x1.2% ratio in bowl sizes below the .70 range. And, I really like that pot-shaped bowl dimension.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Celius

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Reactions: sablebrush52

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Savinelli makes some very nice pipes in their Petite range, small pipes, no filters.
I bought a Savinelli 109 in the professor finish that matches the OP’s description relatively well. Good little pipe, but it’s rare to see this size savinelli stocked on the big sites.

75E695B1-8049-4B1C-ADE0-80F428BB0A39.jpeg

Reactions: lightmybriar

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
Sorry, I missed the "billiard" part. You can enter in pipe shapes too. It really is a very flexible little program thing.

But, you may be onto something about brands and pipe sizes. You might find more options in Savinelli, Nordings, and Petes. Most All of my Savinellis are in the .70x1.22 range.

But, I also have a similar problem finding a 1x1.2% ratio in bowl sizes below the .70 range. And, I really like that pot-shaped bowl dimension.
I search with billiard as parameter as well. :(
Small pipes are not very popular nowadays, unfortunately.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Take a look at SP pages on Rossi, specifically the Piccolo series, but check my spelling on that. They are nifty little pipes and Rossi in general are substantial. My other suggestion would PC's Kaywoodie Saxon pipe, a limited selection but fine pipes. These might be more Group 3, but compact enough for your purposes perhaps. Hilson pipes, the vintage ones from the sixties, might also be worth a look, and at Iwan Ries, the EWA, which are fine little pipes from France, well above their price point in quality. Stanwell's bulldog 32 is smallish and might also please you.

Reactions: Bowie and Celius
Small pipes are not very popular nowadays, unfortunately.
Those Ropp pipes are pretty small and smoke really well. Greg Pease turned me onto them, and I have two now. But, your right. I think the small pipes aren't very popular, but you still see them on ebay, but searching ebay is a chore to me.

I have a GBD Militaire which fits this bill, if you like military stems. Also, Savinelli had a line called Piuma back in the late 90's. If you can beat me to them, they are really small and smoke really well, IMO. I have three.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes, thats in the style I am looking for.
If it would be a silver band, it would be perfect.

Here are a couple more. You can always check to see if it's available in a silver, or silver colored, band.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Small pipes are not very popular nowadays, unfortunately
More so in Europe due to the high cost of tobacco. which is why a European dealer may have more of what you're looking for. The Danish Pipe Shop has a pipe locator as well, which is how I was able to find something along the lines of what you are looking for in a minute.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Group Size is very often used as reference point for size of the pipe.
Nobody expecting it to be exact.
Its more or less to get an understanding.

You could also be more fruendly/civilised in your replies.
you're right I apologize.. it's just frustrating when people use a non-measurement to say what they want.

I would like a knee-height pile of hay.
Well how wide is the pile? How dense? How tall is the person?
I think you can see what I mean.

as cosmic said.. group size is the raw block of briar. It has only very little to do with the finished pipe dimensions.

try looking at Butz-Choquin. the Supermate line is premier briar and not too expensive for what it is. no silver band though.

Reactions: rushx9 and Bowie

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
entirely agree Cosm
It has been posted many time, and you can find it other places online. The briar is sorted to size and quality and group sizes are assigned before the pipe is even made. People that are very familiar with Dunhills still use the terms for non-Dunhill pipes, but for the majority of pipesmoker, especially on this forum, it doesn't mean anything. Chamber diameter x depth is how most pipe retailers classify their pipes. It just makes it easier to communicate.

But, don't feel bad, everyone jumped on me for using Morse code to reply to posts. puffy
entirely agree Cosmic.I have had dunhills with the same group size but substantially different bowl and chamber sizes.Group numbers have no bearing on chamber or pipe length

Reactions: BROBS and jpmcwjr

Peter Peachfuzz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2019
Central Ohio
I would like to get a new (not estate) straight smooth billiard in group size 2.
Preferably French or English and with a metal/silver band,
Even thought thats not mandatory.

So far I only found only Dunhill pipes of this size.

Any leads or advise?

why not call Mark Tinsky and have him make exactly what you want?

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
People use the Dunhill group sizing because Dunhill was smart enough to make sizing standards fairly early on. Your lesser pipe companies don't do that. They just release pipes willy nilly with what ever happens to fall out of the frazing machine, fill in the pits with putty, slap on a premade mouthpiece and hope for the best. Oh well, maybe one day they will catch on. Then again...

Status
Not open for further replies.