Here's the two best pics I could find for those that missed it
Hatfield.jpg

Screenshot from the official trailer. Copyright History Channel
600.jpg

Copyright Kevin Lynch, History channel

mrhooker93

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2011
Definitely a good series. While not completely accurate in some cases, it is mighty close to the actual account! I live within a mile of Devil Anse Hatfield's old home place. I know quite a bit of his grandchildren and other descendants rather well.......

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I recorded the entire series. Couldn't get throught the first episode. Have a real problem with productions that go to great lengths to portray men, clothing, weapons, and the general feel of the era but have to depict the ladies/girls in modern makeup. Yeh, I know, they're better to look at than the women of the time, but, is it somewhat accurate, or complete fantasy? If complete fantasy, then where do they draw the line? Why go to all the effort on reality with men but not with the ladies? And the romantic angle? Give me a break! What common sense family would send a rival family's young girl home with her beau instead of the other ladies/sisters if they want to avoid a feud? Literary license...or pandering to the audience?
OK, color me Walter... I just like common sense and some semblances of reality, otherwise they might as well bring back Tom Mix and Flash Gordon.
Edit: I like Tom Mix and Flash Gordon... there was no pretense about reality....

Civil War

Lifer
Mar 6, 2018
I thought it was interesting to revisit this post considering the creation/evolution of the Devil Anse pipe shape over the last six years based on the pipe smoked by Kevin Costner in the mini-series.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
It is definitely true of any shape. I have seen Anse pipes that make me cringe though. It's like a bulldog, a bad bulldog is worse than a bad billiard, I guess. Spartacus, lots of guys make good ones. My Thorpe I like because he uses a slightly oval shank, which I think Tinsky was one of the first of whom I saw doing this bit of flair.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
One that I really like is Peterson's 2017 Pipe of the Year. It is a resurrection of one of their old, old shapes. In turn-of-the-(20th)century era catalogs it was referred to as the "Jap" shape, but I somehow doubt they still call it that. Beautiful pipes, IMO.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
As aldecaker mentions, it is worth noting that a few companies had shapes like the Anse, basically modified cutty shapes, long before we called it an Anse. I was amazed when I found it on a bunch of old shape charts under various names.

writingraav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 11, 2018
I really like mine from Moonshine Pipes (Briarworks). I'd post a photo if I could figure out how.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Bad blood started with the murder and simmered for years. The hog incident happened 13 years later when it began in earnest. Kentucky was a "neutral" state in the civil war and differing allegiances led to people fighting farm between farm, ambushes, and the like. Had a lot to do with starting the feud mentality.
Whoops, old thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.