PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
One of the McCoys was murdered and a member of the Hatfields was believed to be the culprit because of the McCoy man joined the Union army instead of the confederacy.
Im pretty sure it started as a fight over a pig.
You're both correct. The feud went on for many years with several members of each family ending up dead at the hands of the other.
To say these two families despised each other would be an understatement!

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
Gotta love westerns! Excited to see Kevin Costner in the mini-series, too.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Im pretty pumped, hopefully I can be back in PA with my pal bruce, and be able to watch it with him

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Hoo boy! Don't have to watch TV to see a real feud.

:rofl: My cellar had more tobacco than I could smoke in my lifetime -- three orders ago! with one more in the mail.

... just keepin' up with Shoelady at this point! :rofl:

shoeboxes.jpg

Side bar: I was in the checkout lane at the Ace Hardware where I bought another case of Mason jars.

Clerk said, "Looks like the missus bought another pair of shoes, huh?" :rofl:

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
I believe that giving Kevin Cossiner a pipe gives him an authoritative look and makes him appear as a thinking man. Not one of irrational behavior. Anyone else's opinion?

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
Them boys aint unedecated, they jis got a differnt kind a schoolin. Bet they could bring home vittles from the woods. Now I miss not having a TV. Is them boys smokin cobs or Hickorys?

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I agree with them being uneducated but I like things of that sort from that time period so I'd say it's worth watching.

Saw that in our TV guide also. Might be fun to smoke a pipe while watching, knowing I'm much more sophisticated. :)

meech

Lurker
Apr 17, 2012
I rather enjoyed the first episode.. I was worried that History forgot how to produce non-reality content. I like the pipe a lot. It seems a little small, but that shape is just awesome.. Once I get some cash saved up my next pipe will most likely be one with a spherical bowl like Mr. Hatfields. I'm looking forward to episode 2.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I am an avid reader of Western Books and have a collection of about 450-500. I have a copy of the Hatfield and McCoy story. It is quite similiar to the Movie (series) so far and am looking forward to the other 2 episodes. Many western books I have, have been made into Movies and I enjoy watching them and comparing them to my books.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I would say that Mr. Hatfield's (Costner's) pipe is a canted tulip or cutty. WHat does everyone else think?

bigmike

Apr 24, 2012
Whatever the type, it certainly stays lit and glows a full bowl red anytime he is smoking it.......

meech

Lurker
Apr 17, 2012
Whatever the type, it certainly stays lit and glows a full bowl red anytime he is smoking it.......
Its Hollywood, so it's probably freshly lit before each scene by a professional pipe lighter. There's also a chance it's not really tobacco, and something else that would look fancier.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Costner did a pretty good job in the first episode. Berenger was good as Jim Vance and Bill Paxton plays a convincing loonatic. My fiance made a good point while watching it though. She said, "Seems like the feud started when Hatfield deserted and McCoy suffered through the rest of the war.". Great writing and I love how Devil Anse is frequently puffing on his pipe. Can't wait for the next two episodes.

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
"Seems like the feud started when Hatfield deserted and McCoy suffered through the rest of the war."
I agree. Not to get all touchy feely, but it seems more like McCoy felt like Hatfield was abandoning him, not just their unit when Hatfield deserted. I think he was hurt by that without Hatfield even realizing it.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
The first episode was a bit long. It probably could have been edited down by a half hour or so.
Bill Paxton played McCoy like a wild-eyed lunatic and got irritating. But "subtle" has never really been his hallmark.
Hopefully it gets better tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.