PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Ever tried a blend that you absolutely hate, then later it becomes a favorite?
My first purchase of Old Joe Krantz was an "I hate it" experience. I gave most of it away.
Now, a few years later, I can't get enough of it. Absolutely love it, can't keep from reaching for it. That's after finding a small stash jarred as 'reject' material. A few ounces later, I just love it!

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Ray, when did STG take over? I loved the stuff back in the 70s. Bought some 4 or 5 years ago and gave it to a homeless guy I knew(a tub full!)Felt bad about it (giving it to him) because I thought it was that bad!...

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Rattray's Red Rapparee. I used to be think "WTF, this just tastes like ash".
Until I air pocketed it in a old Hilson because it was the only tobacco I had at work. Then all of a sudden it was subtle and "citrus".
Now it's on my "grab a tin list" whenever I order.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tried C&D Bayou Night when it was blended in Morganton, N.C., and liked the tobaccos together but found it harsh and edgy, glad I tried it but didn't order more. Recently I ordered again as part of a bulk order, and oh my. That's the stuff! A much more refined but still fulsome and flavorful blend for sure. Blends can change with ownership and/or with aging and time. I always suggest people age blends they don't like, to see if the blends or their tastes change over time.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Those hate and love tobaccos I have them several in my list,(Clan and Amphora full red, standard mixture by Dunhill just to name a few) just recently had smoked latakia stuff and yes I did find it pretty addicting again,I better keep away from it

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Absolutely. We all have hate -love with the tobaccos. For me it was Bob’s Chocolate flake. I hate Lakeland blends, didn’t like this one, now it’s one of my all time favorites.

lovelatakia

Lurker
Jul 29, 2018
Tried samples of Pirates kake, didn't love it, but now I buy it by the pounds
6f2ef87b8487a7320cee8bd69c383f3b.jpg

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
I remember thinking burleys were boring, dull and lacking in flavour. That has long since changed.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Haven't had it happen yet. The only tobacco I've despised from the get go was Stonehaven but mixed with ODF it's fine.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
For me it's Billy Budd. Love the flavor but can't take the high nic content. Is there a blend that tastes similar but without the nic hit of BB?

josephcross

Dec 30, 2015
I remember thinking burleys were boring, dull and lacking in flavour. That has long since changed.

Aged Burley Flake was a blend I couldn’t stand when I first tried it. Couple years later and Im really enjoying it.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Condorsky Plug although either mixed with Tambo or Black Twist it becomes bearable. At the moment I am on the love it/hate it kick with Rose Geranium plug!

Growing up, my parents never allowed me to hate a food. Hating broccoli or asparagus was a sign of weak character and moral flaws. Sure, I preferred some foods to others, but it was just unheard of to outright reject something. I remember my little sister setting at the table till midnight on a school night refusing to eat grilled onions. But, she eventually ate them, and forever after that ate them, without a fuss.
I cannot say that there has ever been a blend that I could not smoke. Images of an impetuous child that needs to set there till midnight and then taking a belt in remembrance comes to mind.
So, I never have an issue with ordering a pound of something that I have never tried, because I have never tried a blend that was unsmokable. Sure, I like some better than others, but never anything that I would flail my arms and kick my legs to keep from having to ever smoke again.
To me, some blends that I like least will eventually find their perfect pipe or season to shine. C&D Poplar Camp was one that struck me as one that I would like the least, but eventually on one of the first cold Autumn mornings of December, I lit up a bowl of this in one specific pipe that had yet to find favor with any particular blend, and it started to sing sweet music.
But, for those impetuous children, you just set there till you finish your bowl or the clock strikes midnight, and then take the belt till you fall asleep with the memory of your selfish weak character on you thighs.
Luckily, with my own children, they never ran across a food that they didn't like, but I have seen some children at restaurants that really needed a good...

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I suspect it's a common occurrence across the board. I recall strongly disliking beer when I sneaked my first sip out of one of my Dad's beers when I was a little kid. How things change!
I didn't care much for Virginia flakes when I first started. Liked them ok, but quickly headed over to latakia territory. Recently I've developed a big appreciation for Virginia flakes, though I still love my English blends as well.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Hahaha Cosmic :rofl:

I have never hated a blend. There have been a couple that I gave away after smoking half a tin. I am sure I would have smoked them eventually.

The nearest I come to a love/hate thing is with the only blend available for purchase in my country. It is Mac Baren Mixture Scottish Blend. I think it is a good blend. I crave it from time to time for the honey sweetness and subtlety, but after a couple of bowls its blandness turns me off it again. I never hate it, though.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
In the beginning I hated latakia. Then I tried Syrian latakia. Hated it too. Nowadays i've found myself really loving to hate latakia! :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.