Has Anyone Ever Imported HU Tobacco from Pfeifen Depot?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
6 Fresh Castello Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I just checked out Esterval's website. I found several blends I'd like to try but not nearly enough to offset the shipping. Shame we can't get some of these blends at US on-line retailers.
Do you like Capstan? A 1 lb box is $50.
even if you ordered 1 box and paid the shipping it’s still about $50 less than buying it in tins.

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
In the scale of tobacco manufactures, I don’t know where HU sits, or if it’s part of a big conglomerate with $$$$.

I would imagine that they don’t want to get bogged down with the licensing, permitting, packaging redesign, advertising and dozens of other issues that importing their product into the US would involve and would rather reinvest that money in their own business.
You may be right about that. Doesn’t the company that produces the Synjeco tobaccos only ship from Switzerland, or wherever they are?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
You may be right about that. Doesn’t the company that produces the Synjeco tobaccos only ship from Switzerland, or wherever they are?
probably this
When you consider that all HU products will go away (I think) under the FDA ruling unless submitted for thousands of dollars testing its not worth there time to set something up for such a short time,Hu is only a small concern

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
probably this
When you consider that all HU products will go away (I think) under the FDA ruling unless submitted for thousands of dollars testing its not worth there time to set something up for such a short time,Hu is only a small concern

They wouldn’t go away, they just wouldn’t be sold here in the USA. Which, given the amount of time that the US laws have been on the books, even though the FDA taken such a long time to implement anything. Which may be a decision they made some years ago.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I just checked out Esterval's website. I found several blends I'd like to try but not nearly enough to offset the shipping. Shame we can't get some of these blends at US on-line retailers.

As @BROBS said, some of the bulk orders make it easy, but I regularly find enough tins to make it worth it. One thing to consider is that HU Tobacco, IMO, is on par with Esoterica, Gawith, McClelland, etc. and their 100g tins are $13-17 (essentially half the price). If you take that into account, a mere 3 or 4 tins pays for your shipping.

I know, I know, it's a bit of a stretch to think of it that way, but it works for me :ROFLMAO:

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
As @BROBS said, some of the bulk orders make it easy, but I regularly find enough tins to make it worth it. One thing to consider is that HU Tobacco, IMO, is on par with Esoterica, Gawith, McClelland, etc. and their 100g tins are $13-17 (essentially half the price). If you take that into account, a mere 3 or 4 tins pays for your shipping.

I know, I know, it's a bit of a stretch to think of it that way, but it works for me :ROFLMAO:
Well, it’s not a big stretch if you’re getting the ‘baccy you want, at a price you can live with!

Reactions: dcon and BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

my last order was 2 pound boxes of capstan, 3 Meistermischung 88 100g, 3 Brown Clunee 100g, and 4 tins of Wallace Flake. the total was 213 Euro.. shipping was 43 Euro.

so $280 total.

had I known there would be a Rattray drop so soon in the US I would have waited but I also stocked up off the US sellers so I'm pretty deep especially on BC.

Reactions: marlinspike

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal

Have you tried most of the HU line? It seems like most of their blends are well received.

Reactions: BROBS

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Have you tried most of the HU line? It seems like most of their blends are well received.
I wouldn’t say most of (they make a LOT of blends) but I’ve had 10 or so of their blends. Not a bad one in the bunch so far.

You can get more info on them at tobaccoreviews.com, where you’ll see it would take years to try them all hahaha

Well received would be an understatement, they are very highly respected by some very highly respected palates that are far more sophisticated than mine!

jackets

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2017
I’ll echo @alaskanpiper and some others here, I spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 at estervals and the shipping cost evened out. HU blends really landed with me and I’m happy that I took the plunge. I won’t attempt to force your hand, however in the times of uncertainty surrounding tobacco laws, taxes, potential shipping bans and possible import/export issues we may be nearing the end of the line for free and open international(hell even interstate) tobacco purchases.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I mainly meant that they apparently aren’t interested in establishing distributorships outside their home territory’.
I remember a discussion here where we all got riled up wanting to petition SP to start carrying HU. The response from Mr. Wilford was something like they wish they could carry HU but any brands that weren't being imported before 2015 weren't going to be able to start being imported now with the impending deeming regs. The brand just didn't have the interest back then that it does currently.

Reactions: marlinspike

Eaglesgift

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Chiang Mai
I ran into the same VAT issue with a UK based vendor who claimed there was so much paperwork involved that they only refunded VAT on orders over a certain amount and that I'd have to pay the VAT then request a refund afterwards.

I find that very difficult to believe as I can order a £2 box of razor blades from a UK shaving supplies vendor, with the VAT automatically deducted. If there was a heap of paperwork involved, they just wouldn't do that. I think it's a ruse when companies do this as they know a fair percentage of customers will be too lazy to ask for the refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.