PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bob the bear

Can't Leave
Apr 2, 2022
Edinburgh UK
Too much N for me. I tried a bowl and had to sit down for 30min afterwards , real hair on the chest stuff. I personally prefer it’s milder cousin black Irish twist. But in saying that the brown bogie does taste really good, just soooooo strong, makes Nightcap look like cotton candy by comparison

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Do all rope tobacco's have high nicotine?
For people who smoke ropes and plugs, there is probably different levels, but for me being a light weight I find pretty much every plug and rope to be high in nicotine. I do find the black twists to be a little less nic than the brown though. If I am feeling like that flavour I am more inclined to cut a thin slice and add it to the top or mix it into another blend.

Aug 1, 2012
Of course I love a happy boogie...however absent a musical inspiration, a happy bogie is much more pleasant to smoke.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I’m just barely able to type smoking a half bowl in a huge Marxman Bog Boy.

This reminds me of an old Porter Wagoner song, but most outrageously addictive things do.:)

The sailor that could climb the mizzenmast with a snoot full of Brown Bogie was a Popeye the sailor man indeed.:)

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Half pound $54 delivered from Watch City

Exceedingly highly recommended for mature adults

On the advice of a friend I ordered a half pound of this rope tobacco from Watch City

This tobacco needs help lighting, much like Gaslight or Spark Plug, or other rope, twist, or plug tobaccos. I recommend a wad of Five Brothers on top for kindling.

Cut off coins with a knife, poke holes in the coins, rub them out, and pack.

This is some kind of fire cured Indian leaf rolled into a beautiful rope. There are black and brown Happy Boogie variations, this one is the brown.

This is extremely strong, very flavorful, high nicotine leaf. There is a peppery sensation, strong cigar like taste, and pure tobacco bliss. There’s no bite, rough edges or harshness. The room note is not as offensive as I anticipated.

Every pipe lover needs a rope of this. There’s $10 postage up to a pound, and it’s about $5-$6 an ounce and worth every penny.

Enjoy this when you don’t need to do anything but relax and take your leisure trying to keep it lit.

View attachment 204492View attachment 204493View attachment 204494
Your review is spot on with my experience. Great tobacco when you have the time to smoke it without rush.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenMN and Briar Lee

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
I couldn't get the Bogey for most of this year, but when my favorite purveyor got it in, I ordered 1000 g without a by your leave, and then another 1000 of Dark Flake, just the smokes by which to study.

• Wow
Reactions: FLDRD

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
If you’re in the mood for a strong smoke Brown Bogie definitely does it. One of the few tobaccos where I have to remember to use a smaller pipe than I usually do.

One of those tobaccos that everyone should try once to get a better appreciation of tobacco history.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Smoked a bowl of Brown Twist last night. It is dense and smoky and packed with flavor but, like a strong cigar, can be a bit rough on the mouth.