PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Half pound $54 delivered from Watch City

Exceedingly highly recommended for mature adults

On the advice of a friend I ordered a half pound of this rope tobacco from Watch City

This tobacco needs help lighting, much like Gaslight or Spark Plug, or other rope, twist, or plug tobaccos. I recommend a wad of Five Brothers on top for kindling.

Cut off coins with a knife, poke holes in the coins, rub them out, and pack.

This is some kind of fire cured Indian leaf rolled into a beautiful rope. There are black and brown Happy Boogie variations, this one is the brown.

This is extremely strong, very flavorful, high nicotine leaf. There is a peppery sensation, strong cigar like taste, and pure tobacco bliss. There’s no bite, rough edges or harshness. The room note is not as offensive as I anticipated.

Every pipe lover needs a rope of this. There’s $10 postage up to a pound, and it’s about $5-$6 an ounce and worth every penny.

Enjoy this when you don’t need to do anything but relax and take your leisure trying to keep it lit.

3AB74873-64E3-4FD7-9479-0BD82A691173.jpegFE619047-4C7A-4483-A4EB-FFD088F4297E.jpeg8DD496D1-50E7-4503-9408-9C1E1E70B328.jpeg

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Do all rope tobacco's have high nicotine?

I would expect high nicotine in something this dark, oily and potent looking. High nicotine is why, these ropes are made.:)

Five Brothers is best used to light this nuclear strength, nothing but straight leaf tobacco, sort of like using an atom bomb to ignite a hydrogen bomb.

To really increase the kick I think I’ll grind some up fine in a coffee grinder.

I tried that with Cotton Boll Twist and almost overdosed.:)

Last edited:

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I'm so glad you are enjoying it. Don't you agree that it has a wonderful intoxicating smell when you pass the rope by your nose? I found it to be very flavorful and a true champion. I agree about using a starter tobacco. Once I have it going, it stays lit. I find walking while smoking helps me from loosing my balance. Yup, it can sure show you the door.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I'm so glad you are enjoying it. Don't you agree that it has a wonderful intoxicating smell when you pass the rope by your nose? I found it to be very flavorful and a true champion. I agree about using a starter tobacco. Once I have it going, it stays lit. I find walking while smoking helps me from loosing my balance. Yup, it can sure show you the door.

It’s all Virginia leaf. The description is just priceless:

—-
This is a dark fired and dark air cured twist. Also known as Happy Bogie. An old fashioned rope tobacco that provides a stout smoke with high nicotine content.

All our twist tobacco varieties are manufactured by the same spinning process using dark fired wrapper leaves. The filler is again, predominantly dark fired leaf with the addition of a small percentage of dark air cured Indian leaf. They are therefore strong tobaccos.

Notes: This Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. dark fired and dark air cured twist is also known as Happy Bogie. This brown twist is a bit stronger than the black twist and is made to slice into coins for smoking, or small plugs for chewing - as done by many sailors.

——

This is what makes pipe smoking fun, you know?

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
I've been smoking brown twist sliced for a while, and my intact 4oz rope is sitting in a jar to be enjoyed in future years. After putting the sliced twist in a jar, I left the lid off of it for several days, until it was crispy on top but not completely dry to the bottom of the jar. After sealing it, over time the moisture that remained in the tobacco equalized. It's dry but not crumbly — just slightly springy — and it smokes perfectly with no relights after I rub it out. No kindling required. This could be a top 2 tobacco for me of all time. Definitely a desert island contender

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I've been smoking brown twist sliced for a while, and my intact 4oz rope is sitting in a jar to be enjoyed in future years. After putting the sliced twist in a jar, I left the lid off of it for several days, until it was crispy on top but not completely dry to the bottom of the jar. After sealing it, over time the moisture that remained in the tobacco equalized. It's dry but not crumbly — just slightly springy — and it smokes perfectly with no relights after I rub it out. No kindling required. This could be a top 2 tobacco for me of all time. Definitely a desert island contender
This sort of preparation is what I did as well, works very well, however I found there's still a load of moisture in these ropes which comes back, equalizes as you put it. What I found it does is cut down the drying time needed from hours to a quarter perhaps, and that's very finely sliced coins.

Unlike more typical Virginias, these don't tend to get sweeter over time.

Personally I don't like the dark fired VA wrapper, it is very oily and tastes as much. Now the Black XX...no, not for me.