PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Many of them can for 5-10 minues if packed lightly enough. I can put one down long enough to make coffee or go outside to check the mail and come back to a still lit pipe. @sablebrush52 has reported pocketing a pipe before ducking into a shop and returning to a lit pipe upon exiting.
You "must" be talking about some codger blends loaded with propylene glycol. I can't imagine any natural blend burning that long without being tended too.

In my limited experience with larger diameter bowls (an inch or more) I have noticed that after you get them going they tend to stay lit better than smaller bowls.... access to more oxygen I assume. Unfortunately for me, I don't care for large bowls and almost all my pipes have a standard 3/4" bowl. So, relighting frequently is just part of my routine and I've learned to live with it. puffy

Reactions: Doctor Chopper

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Many of them can for 5-10 minues if packed lightly enough. I can put one down long enough to make coffee or go outside to check the mail and come back to a still lit pipe. @sablebrush52 has reported pocketing a pipe before ducking into a shop and returning to a lit pipe upon exiting.
Yep, done it any number of times when I'm in Toluca Lake Village and decide to drop into Trader Joe's. There's no trick to it.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You "must" be talking about some codger blends loaded with propylene glycol. I can't imagine any natural blend burning that long without being tended too.

In my limited experience with larger diameter bowls (an inch or more) I have noticed that after you get them going they tend to stay lit better than smaller bowls.... access to more oxygen I assume. Unfortunately for me, I don't care for large bowls and almost all my pipes have a standard 3/4" bowl. So, relighting frequently is just part of my routine and I've learned to live with it. puffy
Nope. Not every blend will continue to smolder, but many do, including so called "natural" (whatever the hell made up category that is) blends. Point of information, I've never once done this with an OTC blend.

Come to think of it, I've done this with C&D Yorktown a number of times.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
90% of the time I'm smoking C&D Engine 382 or Sutliff TS24. TS24 is just yenidje, basma and samsun, very dry and no added flavoring or PG. McClelland Virginias are pretty good about it too.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I often simply carry a the pipe in my mitt, palm over bowl. Such will usually "snuff" it. No one seems to be inspecting my hands as I walk around the shop, lobby or where ever. When I step back outside I resume smoking, sometimes a relight is required, often times . . . not. If the pipe gets in the way, into a pocket it goes.

Sinzalot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2022
Wales
I used to coil up a pipe cleaner into a disc shape and plug the tobacco chamber with it. I used this trick if I knew I would be able to fire up again soon. If not I'd toss the remainder and start again once I'm settled down. puffy

Reactions: Old_Woodsman

Old_Toby

Lurker
Apr 29, 2022
Wait a few minutes for it to stop burning, take a pipe tool, scrape and dump the ash, do a little tamping on the tobacco so that it doesn't get loose too much, put the pipe in my pipe pouch, and proceed with the day. I take the pipe later, relight it and continue on smoking. Never had any problem.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Wait a few minutes for it to stop burning, take a pipe tool, scrape and dump the ash, do a little tamping on the tobacco so that it doesn't get loose too much, put the pipe in my pipe pouch, and proceed with the day. I take the pipe later, relight it and continue on smoking. Never had any problem.
@Old_Toby I like your avatar with the picture of Gandalf lighting his clay pipe. FYI Old Toby is a real pipeweed; I've tried it in my clay pipes:)

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Nice idea.

To me the tobacco tastes ashy if left too long, likely from ash settling into the tobacco. I will try this technique next time I want to save a partial bowl.

Old_Toby

Lurker
Apr 29, 2022
@Old_Toby I like your avatar with the picture of Gandalf lighting his clay pipe. FYI Old Toby is a real pipeweed; I've tried it in my clay pipes:)
Hey Halfdan! Yeah, Allan Lee did a terrific job with the LOTR Illustrations, and this one is the one I'm really fond of! After all, Tolkien's literature is the reason for me picking the pipe up in the first place! I'm aware of the tobacco, and I did watch a couple of reviews, and videos about it. Sadly, most of the good stuff tobacco is not available in my country... 😄

Reactions: The Clay King

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Hey Halfdan! Yeah, Allan Lee did a terrific job with the LOTR Illustrations, and this one is the one I'm really fond of! After all, Tolkien's literature is the reason for me picking the pipe up in the first place! I'm aware of the tobacco, and I did watch a couple of reviews, and videos about it. Sadly, most of the good stuff tobacco is not available in my country... 😄
@Old_Toby My most memorable pipe smoking moments are getting my clay pipe lit from the blacksmith's forge at the Redcoats & Revolutionaries event and having a pint & a clay with the Sealed Knot at the Battle of Nantwich; the church bells in the distance added to the atmosphere!