PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Old_Woodsman

Might Stick Around
Nov 16, 2022
Hi all,

So say you're halfway down a bowl, and you have to move on, what do you do with the pipe in the absence of being able to finish it - bear in mind the tobacco might still be hot?

Thanks...

Reactions: Mortamyhr

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Find a drain by the road and scrape it out with my pipe tool that I always carry as it's also a tamper, out and about in the country just scrape it out a stamp it out, I never smoke in my car and my local club has a designated smoking area outside and under cover, they have a industrial fan heater for the winter months.

Reactions: Browny

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The safest plan is to scoop the ash out in a responsible place that won't start a fire and start over wth a new bowl when you have time. If you have a vehicle, you can find a metal or other fireproof container that serves as a storage place to let the pipe go out without starting a fire.

I have roosted a pipe on a windowsill out of view on occasion, but this does present a risk of the sharp-eyed "finders keepers" person, so mostly I don't.

I"m trying to visualize how chasingembers gets his extra large pipes in a shirt pocket ... but he knows.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I use a wind cap where I've covered the holes with a light coating of silicone. It snuffs out the pipe very quickly and I'll put it in my pocket.

I've been meaning to do something similar, cover up most of the holes but just leave a couple open for those super-windy days. Good reminder to add a couple to my next order. 👍

P.S. A pipe cleaner stuck even partway into the stem should help snuff out the pipe, too. Or at least prevent any crap from spilling out that end.

Last edited:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
What's in it? Do you want to smoke it later? It depends on what you want to do. Most of the time, I finish the bowl, or just dump the rest. But some days, pipe is going well and I do need to attend to my bodily functions. I just leave it on my side table, and go take a dump. No one steals an old man's pipe around here. No, I rarely lunt or smoking public.

Reactions: captpat

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Just walk around with it for five minutes then put it in whatever pocket is convenient. If you don't have one, then you can dump alongside the road or wherever you are walking.

Reactions: aspiring_sage

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Tamp down and put in pocket, normally this is fine. BUT I have one shirt that says it was too hot...

The time it wasn't fine I came out of a store and could smell burning, and then felt a 'hot sensation on my nipple' looking down I could see my pocket was on fire. I have an inch of hole in my pocket but thankfully my nipple is without injury.

I use a windcap a bit, that is also good for a preloaded bowl that is rolling around in your pocket or bag (without losing a third of the tobacco).

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Yesterday while running errands I put my still smoking pipe down in a silicone wine cup I cut down to line the cup holder and went into store to pick up some items, When I got back 20 minutes later it was still lit enough to just started sipping it again. I've never had an issue so far ... eventually they go out if left long enough but it depends on tobacco and how hot you're smoking.

Reactions: Searock Fan

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Yesterday while running errands I put my still smoking pipe down in a silicone wine cup I cut down to line the cup holder and went into store to pick up some items, When I got back 20 minutes later it was still lit enough to just started sipping it again. I've never had an issue so far ... eventually they go out if left long enough but it depends on tobacco and how hot you're smoking.
I would be interested in knowing what blend you were smoking. 20 minutes without nursing it has to be some kind of world record. Congrats! puffy

luddite

Might Stick Around
Mar 31, 2023
Oakland, CA
I cover the bowl and the airhole with hands for a few seconds to subdue, disturb the ash with my finger and gently dump just the ash. If I have a windcap handy I install it and pocket.

Reactions: Browny

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would be interested in knowing what blend you were smoking. 20 minutes without nursing it has to be some kind of world record. Congrats! puffy
Many of them can for 5-10 minues if packed lightly enough. I can put one down long enough to make coffee or go outside to check the mail and come back to a still lit pipe. @sablebrush52 has reported pocketing a pipe before ducking into a shop and returning to a lit pipe upon exiting.