PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
They say people taste things differently, and though I have't re-ordered it, and finished the tin two or more years ago, it was entirely different. No dock worker flavor. A slight aromatic twang, but tobacco forward. And the Perique tingle was distant. I smoked it fairly fresh, maybe six months before opening, but I went through the tin quickly so it never got jarred. Maybe mine was the odd batch, but it resembled none of the described experiences. Spell check always screwed it up when I mentioned it on Forums.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Hmmm...I just picked up a tin of this to try with my Rouxgaroux order, along with Fillmore. I've liked every Pease blend I've tried so far (Cairo, Embarcadero, Union Square, and Sextant), so I'm sure I'll find something to like with Haddo's, but it's interesting to see the variety of strong responses to this blend.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
You'd think Aleister Crowley's affinity for rum soaked Perique would be enough to let potential smokers of Haddo's to know what to expect.

I thought that was a pipe smoking urban legend, a story someone came up with thinking of what could be the most unsmokable thing, paired with a catchy notorious person who happened to be a pipe smoker ("let's come up with a story of how Aleister Crowley smoked pulverized bones of black goats sacrificed to the Devil, peppered with gunpowder used in the siege of Constantinople and drenched in the blood of albino crocodiles") similar to the camel dung myth for Latakia.

Well I was wrong, I found that our good friend deathmetal had researched the subject: Smoking straight Perique with the Great Beast - http://www.deathmetal.org/lifestyle/smoking-straight-perique-with-the-great-beast/

Not at all. After being caricatured in the novel "The Magician" as Oliver Haddo, Crowley used the name as pen name. Haddo's Delight was sort of a renaming of the Friedman and Pease blend, "Aleister".
Well, you said what I was going to say, ha ha.

Haddo's is a favorite of mine, but I tend to open tins between long period of time in between, because I tend to just chain smoke Haddos after popping a tin. I let it dry, so I only get hints of that rum you smell when you first open it. But, it is a tangy zingy blend. And, it does age well.

But, I urge anyone who tries it and doesn't like it to send me the rest, ha ha.

You crackheads, ha ha. I am very picky about my crack selections.

You know, when I picture what this tobacco looks like in my imagination, I see each piece of tobacco as being thick tangy pieces and the little pieces of perique as being striped bits of worm-like candy, writhing in the tin, like something Beetlejuice would smoke.
Yeh, I have an overactive imagination.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
You crackheads, ha ha. I am very picky about my crack selections.

You know, when I picture what this tobacco looks like in my imagination, I see each piece of tobacco as being thick tangy pieces and the little pieces of perique as being striped bits of worm-like candy, writhing in the tin, like something Beetlejuice would smoke.
Yeh, I have an overactive imagination.
I see you like yours topped with a little LSD ?

I kid, of course...

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
A little while ago I popped a bulging tin of Haddo's in the kitchen while my wife and son were standing there. My son described the aroma as "bad Fig Newton".

I'm smoking it at this moment. Fruity and spicy and fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.