PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I don’t really smoke a ton of cigars because, unfortunately, my bank account doesn’t hold the Liberian deficit in it and I can’t afford UK prices but when I do, I like a smaller sized one, a Monte no4 suits me down to the ground. I rarely smoke a pipe from shoulder to heel but I can happily relight one as required. For some reason I feel morally obliged to smoke a cigar in one go so a corona or a Churchill size goes beyond my tolerance threshold.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Before the great cigar boom of the 90's I smoked a lot of Cubans and dearly loved them. But as the boom went on the quality of Cubans really slipped. I kind of got away from then. Now I smoke Nicaraguans and Hondurans primarily.
Are these Central Americans mostly better than the current cheaper short filler Cubans that are fairly cheap still--perhaps smoking longer smoking(more bang for the buck as long fillers that smoke slower) and more complex than these short filler cheaper Cubans in terms of flavor? I'm a novice cigar smoker - BTW, that's why I'm asking?
kindly
mike

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Are these Central Americans mostly better than the current cheaper short filler Cubans that are fairly cheap still--perhaps smoking longer smoking(more bang for the buck as long fillers that smoke slower) and more complex than these short filler cheaper Cubans in terms of flavor? I'm a novice cigar smoker - BTW, that's why I'm asking?
kindly
mike
In general, yes. The cheap, short filter Cubans are like a hot dog. They take the scraps, grind them up and roll them in the cheapest binder and wrappers they have. Maybe they're okay, maybe not. In my experience, generally harsh and nasty.

If you want complexity and flavor, and are willing to age them a few years, Cubans are hard to beat. However, other countries, especially Nicaragua, have closed the gap to the point the Cubans aren't worth the extra cost.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I love Havana cigars and have for quite some time (since 2006 or thereabouts). While some cigars from other countries can be similar in terms of tobacco quality, I have had few non-Cubans that matched the superior flavor and aroma of a Havana cigar (all personal preference, of course).

That being said, it appears the Cuban cigar industry is currently turning tits up. Prices are beyond what even long-time, well-heeled aficionados are willing to pay, supply is the lowest it's ever been, and I've seen pictures of the factory floors nearly empty during business hours. The tobacco is being grown, but too many rollers and management have either fled the country or found work in other endeavors. Last week, they announced an imminent significant global price increase.

I'm glad I stocked up when I did, and I still prefer Cuban tobacco in a cigar, but I've dabbled more in non-Cubans recently and there are some that are enjoyable. While not as good as a classic Cuban Por Larrañaga, Hoyo de Monterrey, or Partagás, they scratch the itch. Plus with careful rationing, I've got Havanas for the next 10 years at least now that I've discovered the joys of pipe smoking. $52 Cohiba Esplendido or $2 bowl of McClelland? Hmmmm......

Sep 18, 2015
kindly
mike
It really just comes down to a taste preference, Cuban Tobacco has a unique and distinct flavor just like Nicaraguan or Honduran tobacco does, it’s all different.
It’s the Cuban construction and curing quality that comes into question.
My understanding is that because everything is owned by the government there’s not really anyone left with the passion and pride that it takes to create a quality product.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
This price hike seems to be putting you guys on par with Australian (Tax) pricing.
I shouted myself a $40 birthday cigar the other week, a Vegas Robaina Famoso (posted in the other thread).
I basically spent $40 to confirm that I'm better off looking elsewhere for my cigar fix - when I get the itch for that Cuban flavour I'll stick with these Montecristo No. 5's and leave it at that, so far I've had 2 that smoked very well and tasted great.

autococker07

Might Stick Around
Mar 29, 2022
Fort Walton Beach, FL
I love the occasional habano, but I too am tapped out at the new prices....... I used to get 10ct boxes of SD#4 for 100 bucks, now its 250, a 25ct was 220 or so, now 575..... I don't even want to think about what a lusitania costs...... too rich for my blood, and after recently discovering Virginias, I think I can just make due with a pipe.

Ag®o

Lifer
Nov 14, 2021
Italy
In Germany the new price list was released with Habanos' tweaks on Cohiba, Trinidad, Montecristo Linea 1935.
70 € for a Lanceros or a Fundadores really sounds like a joke.

Attachments

• Verkaufsprogramm Habanos_Nr.34_01.07.2022_final.pdf
    107.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Wow
Reactions: JOHN72

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
In Germany the new price list was released with Habanos' tweaks on Cohiba, Trinidad, Montecristo Linea 1935.
70 € for a Lanceros or a Fundadores really sounds like a joke.

Looks like a lot of vendors temporarily had removed the Cohibas and Trinidads from their shelves until the new pricing went into effect, and then reposted them at the new, comical pricing. They appear to largely have sold out right away, so there are plenty of smokers, hoarders, and flippers willing to pay almost $100 for an Esplendido. Happy to have a few left from years ago, sad to know I'll never buy another one. Oh well. Plenty of good cigars out there to enjoy.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Looks like a lot of vendors temporarily had removed the Cohibas and Trinidads from their shelves until the new pricing went into effect, and then reposted them at the new, comical pricing. They appear to largely have sold out right away, so there are plenty of smokers, hoarders, and flippers willing to pay almost $100 for an Esplendido. Happy to have a few left from years ago, sad to know I'll never buy another one. Oh well. Plenty of good cigars out there to enjoy.

I had to check out a price for the Esplendidos for us poor saps in Australia, with our tax rate they sell for about that already - someone's okay with that because they are sold out - so I'm eagerly awaiting for what the new pricing will be when more stock comes in.
Stay tuned for a good laugh and shaking of heads, this will be good! ?

On a sidenote, do you think all of the guys selling knock off's in glass top boxes will up their price to reflect the new pricing. May as well take the opportunity to make a little more profit where you can ! ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr