PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
I was looking today a spain video on youtube wich states that there is a 150% increase in price of habanos. Of course , since they are not available in USA , it does not matter much here. But , what about the people who buy them outside? . It seems that the reason is the very high demand on the Chinese market.

Reactions: JOHN72

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There are great Cubans still available. But, I'm betting their ChiCom market is booming. Sure they are a pricey stick but, not overly oppressive in my opinion. Well, if that's the cigar you desire at the time. Many great cigars from other locales will fill any voids left by the Cubans migrating to China. My luxury cigarettes have disappeared but, I'll find a replacement just as, over the years, when a blend disappears, there are many others to swap to. Chznge demands adapting, life goes on.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
There are great Cubans still available. But, I'm betting their ChiCom market is booming. Sure they are a pricey stick but, not overly oppressive in my opinion. Well, if that's the cigar you desire at the time. Many great cigars from other locales will fill any voids left by the Cubans migrating to China. My luxury cigarettes have disappeared but, I'll find a replacement just as, over the years, when a blend disappears, there are many others to swap to. Chznge demands adapting, life goes on.
What would you consider overly oppressive? I can remember buying just about any Cuban Robusto except Cohiba for $5 to $6 per stick. Those are now $9 to $10 per stick. If they increase 50% you're looking at around $15 per cigar. If you're smoking one per week or month, not a big deal. If you're smoking 2 per day, that's $900 per month . I think that would be a bit oppressive for many people.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
What would you consider overly oppressive?
I suppose there is a price where I would consider the value to be too little. I can remember cigarettes at $.35 per pack, gasoline under a dollar a gallon, my first new car cost more than my first house. I've managed to keep my income pleasantly ahead of inflation. I was taught early in life that only rarely do things get cheaper over the years and to plan for such. My thoughts are, if a person can't afford to smoke, they should forego that particular vice.

Smoking is a luxury, not a necessity. It's my wee vice, I'm happy with it and can comfortably indulge myself. If others can't, they should quit. One really shouldn't enjoy any luxuries or vices until all of the necessities are seen to.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've always preferred Dominican Republic cigars to the Cuban cigars i've had, mostly on business trips to Canada, but I have always been just an occasional cigar smoker. Pipe blends have always seemed more varied and interesting to me, and certainly more cost effective.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I suppose there is a price where I would consider the value to be too little. I can remember cigarettes at $.35 per pack, gasoline under a dollar a gallon, my first new car cost more than my first house. I've managed to keep my income pleasantly ahead of inflation. I was taught early in life that only rarely do things get cheaper over the years and to plan for such. My thoughts are, if a person can't afford to smoke, they should forego that particular vice.

Smoking is a luxury, not a necessity. It's my wee vice, I'm happy with it and can comfortably indulge myself. If others can't, they should quit. One really shouldn't enjoy any luxuries or vices until all of the necessities are seen to.
Kewl. How many $15 Cigars do you smoke per week? Which ones do you usually smoke?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Sometimes a cigar is the absolutely correct smoke for the situation. If cost effectiveness is considered, it's literally cheaper to put match to cash, no trips to the shops, no scouring the internet for blends and/or pipes, etc. I kid of course. But, cost effectiveness simply isn't a consideration when it comes to smoking, for me anyway. It's my wee vice, I do it for the sheer personal, selfish pleasure. The pipe is my usual preference, circumstances sometimes dictate a cigarette or cigar though.

Which ones do you usually smoke?
Currently I'm going through a humidor full of Fuentes, Partagas 1845, I purchased a year or so ago. Churchill sized which I've found to be well formed and pleasantly tasty.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
I was fortunate enough to heavily stock up on Cubans from around 2007-2014, before marriage and kids ?. I’m glad I did. I remember the small price increases then seemed horrible, even before this latest price increase prices are crazy. As an example the last time I purchased a 24 count box of Trinidad Reyes I paid $110, now (before the latest increase) they sell for around $262. That’s crazy. Now they will be well over $300. Forget about Cohiba, I think I paid around $280 for a box of Siglo IV, now $751. I’m glad i purchased when I did and I have a nice size collection aging in my cellar. Maybe this is a warning sign for pipe tobacco?.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I just checked pricing. Robusto sizes are now $14 and up per stick ($349 per box of 25). That's equivalent to an entire 50 gr tin of pipe tobacco. It's always in the perspective but I thinks that pricing is oppressive for most.

Reactions: JOHN72

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
What would you consider overly oppressive? I can remember buying just about any Cuban Robusto except Cohiba for $5 to $6 per stick. Those are now $9 to $10 per stick. If they increase 50% you're looking at around $15 per cigar. If you're smoking one per week or month, not a big deal. If you're smoking 2 per day, that's $900 per month . I think that would be a bit oppressive for many people.
Haven't been into cigars for quite a while now. But sampled a number of brands while in the Caribbean some 25 years ago. Range of prices with the top being $18 a stick then, (don't remember either the brand nor size). The one I enjoyed the most was the cheapest at $4. But can't say any of them really stood out over cigars from other areas. Also tried Cuban pipe tobacco while there which was the most god awful pipe tobacco I have ever sampled and tossed into the garbage after suffering through 1 bowl.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Haven't been into cigars for quite a while now. But sampled a number of brands while in the Caribbean some 25 years ago. Range of prices with the top being $18 a stick then, (don't remember either the brand nor size). The one I enjoyed the most was the cheapest at $4. But can't say any of them really stood out over cigars from other areas. Also tried Cuban pipe tobacco while there which was the most god awful pipe tobacco I have ever sampled and tossed into the garbage after suffering through 1 bowl.
You very likely were smoking counterfeits if you bought them in the Caribbean.

Sep 18, 2015
I was looking today a spain video on youtube wich states that there is a 150% increase in price of habanos. Of course , since they are not available in USA , it does not matter much here. But , what about the people who buy them outside? . It seems that the reason is the very high demand on the Chinese market.
So full disclosure, I’m not much of Cuban fan. Imo they weren’t worth the price 15 years ago when I gave up on em. The cigars/tobacco coming out of South America is far superior to anything coming out of Cuba. Once I finish of the couple of tuppers worth I have left it’s not likely that I’ll ever buy anymore.

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
So full disclosure, I’m not much of Cuban fan. Imo they weren’t worth the price 15 years ago when I gave up on em. The cigars/tobacco coming out of South America is far superior to anything coming out of Cuba. Once I finish of the couple of tuppers worth I have left it’s not likely that I’ll ever buy anymore.
I guess you mean Central America

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
Consider me oppressed. I enjoy the Bolivar Petit Corona and the Montecristo #4. Last year a box of BPC cost me about $130. Now they are around $280 per box. No thanks, they've priced me out of the market. I agree with Hoosier that at least in my opinion, the tobacco has been too young and not worth the asking price. Lucky for me, I enjoy Cuban cigars but do not find them superior to my favorite Nicaraguans.