PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Thanks: I did take a 3 year long break. I quit due to the religious topics that got me in hot water. I apologize to those I offended in the process. I promise to behave myself this time.

I also went from being a healthy 58 year old to a physical equivalent of a 90 year old in 3 short months. My body attacked the nerves in my arms and legs and killed 90% of them. The nerves tell the muscles what to do, so I lost about 60% of my muscles too. I had to quit working and died a quick financial death from going 5 months with zero income. Had to sell the house, and a major portion of the material things around the house. 3 race karts, motorcycle, 6 pairs of speakers, (3) 5 ft. Tall tool boxes, 5k dollars worth of stuff on CL. Moved to an apartment for 11 months until they wanted to raise the rent $300.00/month. Moved 4 months ago into a cheaper condo, which we hope to be able to stay in. With the new proposal on Capital Hill, they are going to cut Medicaid 800 Billion, and total 1 Trillion for Medicaid and Medicare. If that happens I am sure it will have a great effect on healthcare costs. I just found out that I was misdiagnosed 3 years ago, and now don't have to do any more weekly IV Infusions, they were costing the healthcare system $250K/year.

It was great to start back up sucking on Penzance vapors. I think I still have (3) 16oz jars of it left, so I'm going to have to milk it out as there is no money for tobacco. I will likely revive some of the old threads on here.

Hope to contribute a little and learn a lot. I just wish Lawrence was still here.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
"Hi Hobie... I guess you left around the time I got here. You smoke up that Penzance. Sounds like it wasn't MS?"
Nope, my son has MS, but I was diagnosed with Chronic Inflammatory Demylenating Polyneuropathy, but found out by the head of Neurology at Duke Medical Center last week that I have Hereditary and Idiopathic Polyneuropathy(no known cause), tested positive for a PMP-22 gene mutation. I don't get sick often, but when I do, I get some strange sh!t that nobody has heard of.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Welcome back, Hobie, but sorry to hear about the health lightning bolt out of the blue. Being social and spending time with friends is essential to wellbeing, so maybe we can help out a bit......

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Welcome back Hobie. Very sorry to hear of your health and other issues. I hope everything improves significantly for you soon.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Welcome back Sir,even when love The U.S I'can't help wondering if its after all the right country to live in when one is starting to have medical issues,,it seems now obvious these healtcare bills might lead one to personal bankcruptcy.But anyhow I hope things look brighter for you in the nearest future.

Best Greets, Paul

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Thanks everyone, especially the seasoned veterans I use to aggravate on here.
I just got back from meeting with my insurance man and I qualified for a double SNP (special needs program ). So August 1st I go on Medicare, but keep the Medicaid benefits too. He said that it was the best program out there, as most all benefits will cost zero. He also explained the new budget and reforms for Medicare and Medicaid. Looks like the system is going to try and reduce the expansion of these programs by tightening the pre-requisites on new applicants. There are so many people who are in the system that are perfectly healthy and simply want a free ride so that they can sit at home and watch TV. My last neighbor parked in the handicapped space, so I asked him how he became disabled. He said 8 years ago he had Polycephimea and his shoulder was sore. Couple of months later I see his daughter and him carrying a sofa out to the moving van. But that's just like the thousands of people who have Disability plaques hanging from their mirror because they have high blood pressure. When I walk, it looks like I am 95 years old, losing most of my muscles in my legs makes balance a big issue,so I normally use a walker or a powerchair. I've had 14 falls so far since getting sick, luckily no broken bones so far. Last one was x-rayed and showed i also have osteopenia (which is 1/2 way between normal and osteoporosis). So much fun getting old....NOT

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
While checking the old threads I was coming across your username all the time and I was always wondering where you were :) I am really sorry to hear about those troubles, but I am glad that you are back, sir.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Very happy to see you back with us and very sad to hear about your health issues. Keep your head up and stay mentally strong. Hoping good karma comes your way.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
I agree with the others. Glad to see you back here. So many new people on here, and a lot of the ones that were regulars when I started have faded away. That's the way it goes though. Sorry to hear of your health problems. Your avatar doesn't look that old, if that is you

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I agree with the others. Glad to see you back here. So many new people on here, and a lot of the ones that were regulars when I started have faded away. That's the way it goes though. Sorry to hear of your health problems. Your avatar doesn't look that old, if that is you
Avatar picture is from 10 years ago. A lot can change in 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.