PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Rockett, Texas. South of DFW Metroplex
One of my favorite aromatics. Lately I've been adding a pinch of 5 Brothers to up the nicotine strength. I tried the cherry flavored Mixture 79 and after a half of a bowl the pouch was thrown in the trash.
I like that idea of perhaps mixing something with a higher nicotine kick to it, interesting. Maybe some HH ODF and 79??? Worth a shot for a noob, I mean what have I got to loose? puffy

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I'm really glad you like it. But, I am still pissed that we had forum bullies that prevented us from having good-natured wholesome camaraderie at Mixture 79's expense. But, we live in an age of harassment, picking on the good guys, and ego. So are the way of things. :::sigh::: puffy

Aw come on, Let it rip one time. Tell us how you feel.. just for old time sake.

I agree. All of us yayhoos sitting around smoking PG & purse-slurry surprise deserve every bit of ribbing you can dish out.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I'm curious, is the Sutliff bulk version the same as the tub version?
I've tried the pouch and the bulk version. The pouch version is hosed down with PG to a point where I was able to leave the pouch open on my mantle for a solid week and it was still damp. The bulk version seems to have significantly less humectant, and to me the topping is slightly more subtle. If you've ever had Heine's Blend, I find the bulk version of M79 to share a few more of it's nutty qualities(it's supposedly the base of M79).

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I've tried the pouch and the bulk version. The pouch version is hosed down with PG to a point where I was able to leave the pouch open on my mantle for a solid week and it was still damp. The bulk version seems to have significantly less humectant, and to me the topping is slightly more subtle. If you've ever had Heine's Blend, I find the bulk version of M79 to share a few more of it's nutty qualities(it's supposedly the base of M79).
Heine's Blend is the base of Mixture #79. I confirmed that with Sutliff's retired blender, Carl McAllister years ago. I was smoking HB at the same time I was smoking M #79, and that was how I noticed the similarity.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I suspected that from the way people talk about Mixture 79 not drying well. The bulk is damp, but it’s more water moisture than humectant, and dries to a smokeable humidity quite easily for me.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Heine's Blend is the base of Mixture #79. I confirmed that with Sutliff's retired blender, Carl McAllister years ago. I was smoking HB at the same time I was smoking M #79, and that was how I noticed the similarity.

Thanks for confirming that! I figured as much. If anyone smoked Heine's blend and M79 back to back, it'd be hard to deny. They both have a sort of toasty nuttiness that I've only ever tasted in those two blends.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for confirming that! I figured as much. If anyone smoked Heine's blend and M79 back to back, it'd be hard to deny. They both have a sort of toasty nuttiness that I've only ever tasted in those two blends.
Carl said I was the only person who ever noticed it. I'm not sure that I would have had I not been smoking both at the same time.

Btw, the original formula for M #79 had a musk in it that was used in gun powder. The FDA eventually made them take it out.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I had a bowl today and enjoyed it. I let it dry for about 10 mins. It was still moist but smoked well in my aro cob. I like this blend from time to time in the morning with a coffee.

Reactions: 02Knight

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Mixture 79 does not deserve the bad rap it gets, usually the butt of many jokes on the forums and reviews, but the actual taste is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Actually it is a very good blend that is not too moist and has a unique topping (people say anise so that could be it) but the provlem is people go by the negative reviews and already have it in their heads that it won't live up to expectations, but buy a Oz and try it first you may be surprised like I was.

Reactions: 02Knight
Status
Not open for further replies.