PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Rockett, Texas. South of DFW Metroplex
Well this is another new tobacco I have had the pleasure of trying out. H. Sutliff Mixture No. 79. I found this to be a very nice smoking experience. The tobacco was easy to load, fired up well with minimal relights and had a pleasant smell to it. The smoke was light and the mixture of the Aromatic Virginia & Barley were spot on. I like the Virginia mixed with the Barley, it is a smooth smoke with a great aroma that is easy on the palate. Although it does not have the punch of the nicotine kick I am used to with my favorite HH Old Dark Fired I can find myself coming back to this tobacco for a pleasant experience.DSC03105.JPG

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well this is another new tobacco I have had the pleasure of trying out. H. Sutliff Mixture No. 79. I found this to be a very nice smoking experience. The tobacco was easy to load, fired up well with minimal relights and had a pleasant smell to it. The smoke was light and the mixture of the Aromatic Virginia & Barley were spot on. I like the Virginia mixed with the Barley, it is a smooth smoke with a great aroma that is easy on the palate. Although it does not have the punch of the nicotine kick I am used to with my favorite HH Old Dark Fired I can find myself coming back to this tobacco for a pleasant experience.View attachment 43211
I buy it by the pound, love it.?

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I dig it too. Reminds me of root beer. The fresh pouch note though.. I get how people are so off-put by it, they hate it without even smoking it. Sort of a mix between a fresh urinal cake, and Wrigley's wintergreen gum. I thought I hated it at first, but I found myself weirdly drawn back to it, and sniffing the pouch.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The first to post on this thread, chasingembers, stood up for Mixture No. 79 on Forums and turned it from a joke blend into a respectable citizen. I admit, I tried it after that recommendation and found it an even burning mild blend with pleasing but not overbearing flavoring, just what I like in an aromatic. I tried it in a pouch but now get it in bulk.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I'm a fan of M79. It's typically my first smoke when I get a new, or new to me, pipe. ? I'd be the first to admit though, that the first half of the bowl, in which the casing and/or topping is most evident, is better than the second half, when the tobacco takes over. I don't think there's virginia in the blend.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I'm a fan of M79. It's typically my first smoke when I get a new, or new to me, pipe. ? I'd be the first to admit though, that the first half of the bowl, in which the casing and/or topping is most evident, is better than the second half, when the tobacco takes over. I don't think there's virginia in the blend.
I agree man. I keep an empty pouch sealed in my desk drawer so I can have a sniff from time to time. Besides a pinch of Grousemoor I have never mixed 79 with anything. I’m interested to try it with ODF now, or like it was suggested on a thread a while back, with Golden Extra.

• Haha
Reactions: mingc and 02Knight

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Put a pile on a coffee filter under a desk lamp. Dries quite quickly and easily for me. ?‍♂️
I do buy the bulk though, maybe it’s dryer?
That's what I do! After ~40 min of that the thing was still sopping moist. :mad: As if burleys didn't bite with a vengeance even when dry.

Yeah, I got the pouch. I had never tried it prior to, so I didn't want to buy tons.

Reactions: 02Knight and mingc
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I'm really glad you like it. But, I am still pissed that we had forum bullies that prevented us from having good-natured wholesome camaraderie at Mixture 79's expense. But, we live in an age of harassment, picking on the good guys, and ego. So are the way of things. :::sigh::: puffy

Aw come on, Let it rip one time. Tell us how you feel.. just for old time sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.