PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I’ve noticed ‘plum’ in many reviews. I’m sure I taste it but don’t realize it, to wit: I keep forgetting to add plums to the grocery list just to get their taste signature in memory.
I think plum and apricot are flavors that come naturally from the fermentation of VAs and Orientals. Quite a few Lat blends are said to have an "English plum pudding" taste, so I would assume the smoky scent adds to this overall experience.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Update -- bowl two of White Knight. A bit of drying was just the ticket - packed and smoked flawlessly. Only needed to put flame to tobacco twice - the toast and then a single light needed for the entire bowl. I am really liking this blend quite a bit. Easy to keep lit with just a light sipping draw. All of the individual parts of this bend work together well, with nothing really standing out. More like a smooth harmony of easy, slightly smoky, savory, grassy tastes with a bit of spice to keep things lively. Finish is smooth and short with not much sweetness. BTW - no more plum. puffy

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Back to the White Knight. Just a a few weeks breathing after first opening the tin has made quite the difference in this blend. Does fine now with no further need to dry. Perfect right out of the tin, packs & lights easily and needs few re-lights unless you're a real talker! The latakia is just right - not a Lat bomb at all and smooth. There is a very slight spiciness that is not overbearing and works together with all the other parts in the blend. This is an easily repeatable tobacco. IMHO, worth keeping at least a few on hand.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
White Knight is on my very, very long shortlist of tobaccos to try. I guess if it is a long short list, it would then be a longlist!
Same. Along with Black House. Should probably buy them both at the same time to compare and contrast. I have always enjoyed Russ' Latakia blends. Hard to beat Larry's Blend for a good Full Balkan style that comes in bulk.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Thanks for the review.
My take, before getting rid of it, was that it became a little sour toward the second half of the bowl and ended up as kind of a bland, dissatisfying, hot experience. Could've been insufficiently dry but I never have liked an H&H.
On the other hand, it seemed fuller-flavored to me than Germain's Sobranie, which I appreciated.

Reactions: danimalia

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Back to White Knight after some 6-7 months. BROBS and Embers found a bit of baking soda and some chemical aftertaste. I did notice a slight bit of that as well, so it went to the back of pack. Just recently, I ran across that lonely tin, packed a bowl and fired up. Wow - the rest time has done wonders. No off aftertastes and no rough spots now. Spot on moisture with a creamy, slightly savory tone. Turns out that whoever said to give it some down time to mellow was absolutely correct. After the false light, very easy to keep going with few relights. If sipped, smokes cool and no bite at all. Good to the end of the bowl with a few slight changes that keeps interest up. Back in the rotation. This is definitely cellar worthy. I stocked up!

Reactions: Reggie

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Back to White Knight after some 6-7 months. BROBS and Embers found a bit of baking soda and some chemical aftertaste. I did notice a slight bit of that as well, so it went to the back of pack. Just recently, I ran across that lonely tin, packed a bowl and fired up. Wow - the rest time has done wonders. No off aftertastes and no rough spots now. Spot on moisture with a creamy, slightly savory tone. Turns out that whoever said to give it some down time to mellow was absolutely correct. After the false light, very easy to keep going with few relights. If sipped, smokes cool and no bite at all. Good to the end of the bowl with a few slight changes that keeps interest up. Back in the rotation. This is definitely cellar worthy. I stocked up!
If you enjoy it, it can be bought in bulk for less than $30/pound.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
I went through a small tin of it. I thought it was meh. I would not buy it again .

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
P&C has a sale right now and BH, MO and WK are included.
I saw that. Jarred up a couple pounds each of the Sutliff bulk and am now focusing on Peretti for my Balkan fix. They mix up some good damned backer. Almost wishing I had skipped the Sutliff but for the insanely low price

Reactions: FurCoat

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Let me say that when I first tried WhiteKnight after coming off just trying original Balkan Sobranie a day or two earlier, I experienced a slight chemical taste. However, I recently revisited that opened tin in my best-smoking English pipe, and it was awesome, creamy, latakia goodness. When you have veteran pipe smokers telling you that it is the closest you will get to the original Sobranie, you might want to believe them.

Perhaps the tin having some time to air out got rid of the subtle chemical taste I originally detected.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I saw that. Jarred up a couple pounds each of the Sutliff bulk and am now focusing on Peretti for my Balkan fix. They mix up some good damned backer. Almost wishing I had skipped the Sutliff but for the insanely low price
[/QUOTE
SP has Sutliff at 20% off now. TAD is a mean affliction.

Status
Not open for further replies.