PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
These are thoughts after one bowl from a newly opened tin. I wanted to try this one fresh to see if it warranted stocking the cellar and aging
First, I've never run across a tin that simply did not want to be opened as much as this one. Like an oyster that knew what was in store. After finally removing the lid, was met with a gorgeous aroma of subtle smoky, rough cut tobacco with a bit of light plum in the background. I found the cut to be a bit novel and piqued my curiosity. No idea where the plum comes from, but it is still there. I find myself opening the tin just to look for that scent.
Moisture, as most others say, is spot on and ready to pack and go. Easy to pack, takes a toasting light well. Things looked promising. Tamp, light and then comes a nice light smoky, savory taste from an abundant smoke output. This first bowl required more than an average number of re-lights - maybe did need a little drying time after all. Initially, the flavors were mostly light smoky, savory and spicy. There was quite a bit of spiciness that tingled the mouth, but no bite whatsoever. After getting the bowl properly lit with a nice easy pace, the flavors changed dramatically. The Virginias must have come forth and gave a smooth grassy flavor that harmonized with the latakia in the background. Ultra smooth as the bowl progressed. Some spice was present, but not overbearing. I did not notice any sweetness at any point. The key with this blend seems to be sipping just above letting the bowl go out. This is a medium strength blend with a medium flavor point. Much lighter than Nightcap - probably closer to Skiff Mixture in strength. Not a lat-bomb at all. Actually, the latakia is quite well behaved and plays well with the other tobaccos in the blend.
I believe this is one that will benefit from allowing to mellow a while, but certainly approachable when young and freshly opened. This is an impressive blend that I find I like quite a bit. In definitely in for more. Russ - you done good, sir! ?

Last edited:

John43

Lurker
Oct 31, 2019
New Mexico
I found White Knight to be quite a pleasant smoke straight from the tin. Mine may have been aged for a short time before I purchased it but I can't be sure. My wife really seemed to enjoy the room note. She said it reminded her of fall and incense. If you retrohale it has a pleasant perfume-ish note to it that is definitely reminiscent of incense. I need to smoke a bowl of Balkan Sobranie and compare the two. I'll probably do that later today.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I'm with sandollars - may need to be dried a little. I was absentmindedly huffing pretty hard at times, looking to get it going again and never even approached any bit at all. Got the briar a little warm, though!
My palate is not really very sophisticated - haven't found much that is truly objectionable. (Aromatics, generic Navy Flake, 1792 and any other Lakeland). May be a good thing. I probably could not tell if there was baking soda there or not. All I know is I like this one more than a lot of some of the big guys stuff and will be adding more! puffy

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
One of my favorites. I've never noticed the plum in White Night, but Presbyterian Mixture smells just like blueberries to me. It must be something in the mixture of Orientals and Virginias.

I’ve noticed ‘plum’ in many reviews. I’m sure I taste it but don’t realize it, to wit: I keep forgetting to add plums to the grocery list just to get their taste signature in memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.